xxiii. BILLY PT 2

yesterday: chapter twenty-three

[ 1985. July ]

             BEFORE ANY ACTION KICKS IN, THE GROUP DECIDES TO GATHER ALL THE FACTS. Much of it is just an extension of last year. The mind flayer is back, but more dangerous as it has a physical form and apparently can melt down to get through any small space and then lump together again. MJ and Steve sit next to each other on the fountain, letting the kids do the talking and listening to what the others have been up to.

          "How big is this thing?" Hopper asks.

          "It's big. Thirty feet at least." Jonathan says, earning a couple of murmurs throughout the group.

          "Yeah," Lucas confirms, "it sort of destroyed your cabin. Sorry." He tells the chief who just nods, looking a tad conflicted.

          "Okay, so, just to be clear, this big fleshy spider thing that hurt El, it's some kind of gigantic weapon?" Steve asks, having a hard time comprehending what is being said.

          "Yes." Nancy nods.

           "But instead of like screws and metal, the mind flayer made its weapon with melted people." He tilts his head, hearing how crazy it sounds. But it's not like it's unbelievable, it's believable all right, it's just crazy.

           "Yes, Exactly."

           "Yeah, okay. I— Yeah, I'm just making sure."

           Joyce speaks up."Are we sure this thing is still out there, still alive?"

            Max nods. "El beat the shit out of it, but yeah, it's still alive." She explains.

           "But if we close the gate again..." will starts.

           "We cut the brain off from the body..." Max continues.

           "And kill it. Theoretically." Lucas turns to the chief who seems to be deep in thought. This situation is bigger and stranger than the previous years, everyone is conflicted as to how they should deal with this.

           "Yoo-hoo!" A voice interrupts the conversation, it's the man that Joyce and Hopper brought. MJ still doesn't know his name, but he's walking over to them, waving a bunch of papers around like a crazy person.

          While he goes to make a plan with the adults, or whatever, Max grabs a hold of MJ's wrist to stop her from going anywhere. "What?" She turns around, looking at her sister.