vii. JUNKYARD

yesterday: chapter seven

[ 1984. November ]

THEY REACH THE OLD JUNKYARD before it's dark out so they plenty have time to scout the area. Coming to a stop by the old cars, Steve takes a good look at the place. "Oh yeah. Yeah, this will do. This will do just fine. Good call dude." He sighs as he takes his sunglasses off and starts walking towards the abandoned cars. Dustin grins proudly, happiness radiating off of him as he receives the compliment. MJ pats him on the shoulder as she walks past him, jogging to catch up with Steve.

          They continue throwing pieces of meat for a bit until they just pour their buckets out in a pile. "I said medium well!" Lucas's voice causes them all to look up, and sure enough Lucas has found them and he's  joined by, much to MJ's dismay, Max. She's more than happy that Max seems to have made up with the boys but her joining them on this potentially very dangerous day makes her stomach churn with worry. But she has faith in Max and her ability to protect herself.

         "Who's that?" Steve looks at Dustin briefly before looking back at Max whom he has never seen before. Dustin's lack of answer makes it clear who it is.

         "Max!" Mary-Jane exclaims and catches up with her, placing her hands on her shoulders and studying her face before bringing her sister into a hug. "What are you doing here?"

         Max pulls back, brows raises. "Lucas asked me to come. What are you doing here?"

         MJ throws a glance back at Steve, rolling her eyes. "I'm not sure. We were looking for Dart, again, and now this."

         Max nods and the two watch as Dustin pulls Lucas to the side and they crouch behind an old red car, probably discussing why Max is there. Mary-Jane and Max decide to start gathering pieces of wood, metal, anything that could work as protection while the boys chat. "Hey! Dickheads! How come the only one helping me out are these two random girls? We lose light in 40 minutes. Let's go. Let's go, I said!" Steve urges, walking over to Mary-Jane.

        "All right asshole! God!" Dustin exclaims.

         "Okay! Stupid." Lucas mutters from beside him.

         "Did you just call me a random girl, Harrington? Last time I checked, you'll be getting into college and winning your girlfriend back because of this random girl." Mary-Jane teases, placing a large plank of wood against the side of the old bus that they quickly decide is the best place to hide out as it's located right in the middle of the junkyard, can be better equipped for the coming danger and will fit all of them.