xvii. MOTHER NATURE

yesterday: chapter seventeen

[ 1985. June ]

THE FOLLOWING DAY, MARY-JANE IS HANGING OUT WITH MAX AND billy in the living room, nose deep in a comic that Max convinced her to read, when the doorbell rings. They all look at each other, silently deciding who'll go and see who could possibly want them something. Billy is the only one that is watching television rather than reading, so after a handful of stares from the girls, he rolls his eyes and walks over to the door.

Mary-Jane doesn't pay it much mind, she doesn't even care to look over her shoulder to see who it is because this Wonder Woman comic she's reading is way too interesting.

"MJ it's your boyfriend!" Billy says, a playful annoyed tone to his words. For a second she's about to say he's not her boyfriend — but he is. Somehow, she still hasn't gotten used to it. She whips her head around, eyebrows raised at him. When he just glares at her in return, she places the comic down on the floor and walks over to the door. Billy brushes past her and returns to the couch.

"Hi there." She smiles as her eyes land on Steve leaning against the doorframe.

"Heyo," He replies, his eyes seem to lit up as they meet hers, "I've come to steal you away." Steve wiggles his brows, almost suggestively. Mary-Jane chuckles.

"I'm sorry what now?"

"Pack your bags, Hargrove, we're going on a trip." Steve urges, a wide smile playing on his lips.

She looks at him, mouth agape. "For real?"

"Am I speaking gibberish? Yes woman, go pick your bags!"

"All right, all right, I'm on my way!" MJ laughs, running into her room to pack a backpack full of things she may or may not need — she doesn't even know where they're going.

Minutes later, she tells her siblings to just say that she's with Steve for the evening before she joins him in the car. Turning to him, Mary-Jane asks, "Where are you taking me?"

Pulling off their driveway and out onto the street, Steve turns to her."Camping."

"Camping?" She frowns.

"Well, Harrington style." He replies, eyes focused on the street.

Mary-Jane chuckles lightly. "What the hell does that mean?"