Dynamic Duo

The second my foot hits the rooftop the boy appears in front of me. He grabs my hand, there's a gush of wind, and the next thing I know we're on the complete other side.

I let out a gasp as I try to combat my what-just-happened whiplash. "Don't. Ever. Do. That. Again." I grit through my teeth. Super speed is not as fun as it looks. It's like the whole world shifts around you before you can even realize what's going on.

I blink a few times as I try to take in my new surroundings before stepping back from the edge. The fear of heights is much worse when I'm not safely surrounded by four walls.  "Well I came up to the rooftop so if you're really just an axe murderer let's get this over with."

"If you haven't noticed I have super powers," Finn smirks, "Why would I need an axe?" 

"Not helping your case bud," I grimace, "Now give me one good reason why I should trust you instead of marching back downstairs right this second?" 

Finn's eyes meet mine, that same intense look from earlier today.

"How about if I tell you the truth?" he asks, suddenly serious, "About a week ago I woke up in a back alley with no memory, wearing only a strange jumpsuit, and a backpack full of equipment. I couldn't remember who I was, where I came from, or why I was there. And then, well, I sort of found my powers. Punched straight through a steel wall and accidentally flew off into outer space for a little bit, not as fun as it sounds. Thats when I knew I was different, that there was something wrong with me, and I've went into hiding until those monsters showed up." 

"That's it?!" I ask. I did not trudge to the top of the roof for that, "You've got to be kidding me. Seriously dude? After everything that's happened today you don't know anything." 

I wanted answers but it Finn is supposedly as clueless as I am... That is if I can trust a single word he's saying.

Finn's quite for a moment. A cold breeze blows through and I'm suddenly hating the fact I'm only wearing my pajamas. "There's more," he says, looking down, "When those monsters attacked downtown something sparked in the back of my head. A piece of my memory came back. Somehow I knew those monsters were looking for me. And then, well, I saw you."

"Me? What do I have to do with any of this?" 

He shrugs, "That's the thing, I have no idea, but when I saw your face I suddenly remembered my name. Everything's coming back to me little by little like a giant jigsaw puzzle and you're one of the pieces."

"Well... that's uncomfortable," I say, rubbing one arm awkwardly. If the boy wants to claim he has no memory then fine but he can't bring me into this. I didn't even know he existed until a few hours ago. "Look, I'm sorry but if you're trying to find answers you won't get them with me. I don't know anything about you or why you're super. I was just in the wrong place at the wrong time this afternoon." 

Finn's face falls. He lifts slowly off the rooftop, as if pulled into an air by an invisible string, and hovers in front of me, only a dark shadow against the city lights. "Maybe you're right. Maybe it's just a coincidence. I just can't shake the feeling that you're supposed to help me. " 

"Help with what?" 

"Those monsters today that attacked downtown, there's going to be more and I'm the only one that can stop them. I need to stop them, it's my fault they're hurting anyone in the first place. But if I'm going to do that I need help. I have no memories, I don't know anyone. I need someone to help me figure everything out."

A funny feeling rises in my chest, like I just swallowed a pint of bubbly water. All I can think about is those monsters, those ugly blobs that sent shivers down my spine. More are coming and for some strange reason Finn thinks he needs my help to stop them.