Not the Batcave

"Well, it's no fortress of solitude."

When Finn had invited me to check out his superhero headquarters I was expecting something a bit more... super. I don't know, a crystal palace hidden within the mountains or a secret lair filled with cutting edge technology. Something with finesse. Not some abandoned warehouse in the middle of the bad part of town.

Finn opens the creaking wooden door and I immediately crinkle my nose at the musty smell. There's an old couch in the corner, a table littered with junk, and a few fast food bags in the corner.

"Well, its the best I could do on short notice," Finn shrugs. He takes off the glasses and too big shirt to reveal a fitted grey t-shirt underneath. My heart flutters for only a moment. I had almost forgotten that underneath that nerdy disguise Finn is actually sort of cute. 

I quickly regain my composure, trying to ignore the fact blush has crept into my cheeks, "You'd be so lost without me." I open the backpack I had brought with me and spill it's contents out onto the table. 

Finn rushes over with super speed and starts filing through it all. "What is all this?"

"Some stuff to get you started," I explain, "A cellphone with prepaid minutes in case of emergencies, some cash, school supplies, food, and, well, something to help with the whole hero bit." 

"I thought you said no spandex," Finn raises an eyebrow as he holds up the all black super suit I had made for him. It was form fitting with gold trim and a matching black mask. 

"You need something to hide your secret identity," I explain, "Don't worry, it'll look good. I have great taste." 

Finn keeps flipping the garment over in his hands. He actually looks excited."Where's my cape?" 

I shake my head. "Capes are totally lame. You're a real live superhero, not a dress up one at a kids party." 

"Well thanks anyways. This is actually really nice. How'd you afford all this?"

"Don't worry about it," I laugh, "My dad owns the biggest company in all of Vertigo. I'm sort of loaded." 

"Well I picked the best person to be my sidekick."

I frown at him, snatching back the suit, "I'm not your sidekick." 

Finn just shrugs and then is only a blur as he runs around the room putting everything away. It's weird, but this time when he runs at super speed I'm more used to it. He finally stops holding a new backpack. It's all black with the words GENESIS LABS printed on the top. 

"Well I have something to show you too," he says, "You know how I woke up with no memory? Well this is all I had with me and honestly I don't know what to do with any of this stuff." 

I spreads it all out on the table and I must admit it's much more impressive then my gift. 

There's a few different pieces of technology that I don't recognize and then three large syringes filled with green liquid. 

"I've been playing around with it in my free time to see if I can figure anything out," Finn explains, "There's a set of tracking devices, some earpiece communicators-"

"And the vials?" I ask. 

Finn looks uneasy and when I pick up one syringe he visibly backs up. "I have no idea."

I put it closer to my face to inspect it and then hold it out to him, only Finn is suddenly on the other side of the room. 

"Put those down Mack," he says, looking uneasy, "I can't remember but there's something about whatever's in those vials, something bad."