High School Hero

I'd take a giant blob monster over a Monday morning any day. 

It took a Herculean effort to get out of bed, my blankets practically holding me hostage to stay home all day in my PJs. When I finally do manage to escape and trudge to the bathroom I realize I have my work cut out for me: my dark, naturally curly hair has somehow doubled in size overnight and I have dark bags under my eyes from late night chats with a certain superhero.

It's not a task for the faint of heart, but somehow I manage to make myself look decent. Today my hair is straightened flat against my back and braided back on the sides, my eyeliner is perfectly pointed, and I'm wearing my favorite forest green dress with a light cardigan and my signature boots. 

Some girls act like they're too good for makeup or skirts or the color pink but I like making myself look nice. People who are put together dress like it. 

Slinging my old backpack over my shoulder (my usual messenger bag was unfortunately eaten) I head down the elevator and out into the streets of Vertigo City. We live just on the outskirts of downtown, where the city meets the suburbs, but there's still plenty of hustle and bustle out here. Business men and women shuffle past me without a second glance, families push past with strollers, confused looking tourists stall traffic trying to decipher their map. 

I like Vertigo City. There's certain charm to it with the way the old seems to blend with the new. All around me large skyscrapers loom on either side, some of the newer models of all glass mixing in with the ancient towers with gothic architecture. The tallest building on the skyline marks the center of downtown with a giant clock face and spire that seems to jut into the clouds. 

I wait at the usual place for my bus. My dad let's me borrow his car whenever I want but driving around Vertigo is just chaotic. 

When the bus finally pulls up I can't help but roll my eyes. Plastered on the side in big, bold, letters is another one of Harry Charleston's ads. "Build a better future together!" Ugh. Gag. It was officially campaign season in Vertigo and that meant a million ads from politicians. Harry Charleston was running for re-election for mayor. He was the smooth-talking, charming, kinda-hot-for-an-old-guy type. I have nothing against him personally, he's a good friend of my dads, but his campaign slogans suck. 

I shrug as I step past Harry's perfectly chiseled (ahem photoshopped) face and into my ride. I go all the way to the back and pull out my music. Monday mornings may suck but this is my favorite part of the day: riding along, watching the city go by, and letting my mind wander off to music. 

After everything with the monsters and Finn its nice to just zone out and relax for a moment.

A moment that is very short lived, however, because as soon as I get to school I'm ambushed from behind. 

"Mack!" 

Arms wrap around me and pull me into a giant hug. I quickly swivel around only to see my very hyper best friend practically bouncing on her feet. 

"Hey Cammie," I grin, "How was Iris City?" 

She had taken advantage of the long weekend to go the beach over in Iris, which is very obvious considering her new tan. 

"Ah-mazing," she beams, her blond braid flicking behind her, "We stayed at this super cool place downtown and they had one of those weird restaurants where they make the food right in front of you and..." 

I zone out a bit as Cammie rambles on and on about every single detail of her trip. If anything, Cammie Weaver is thorough. 

Out of the corner of my eye I spot our other friend Mike. He has dark hair cut short, skin the color of coffee, and is built like a pro-athlete. Before Finn, Mike was the closest thing I knew to a superhero. He's not just star of the football and basketball teams but also top in the class, and volunteers at the local elementary school on a regular basis. Can you say perfect