Homecoming

“You look beautiful Mackenzie.” 

I step into my living room ready for the homecoming dance. I’m wearing the draped, black dress I bought with Cammie and gold strappy heels. My hair is curled, braided, and pull back into a sleek bun. I’m wearing blood red lipstick, smokey eyeshadow, and an arm full of gold bangles. 

Yah, I look pretty good. 

I do a full twirl for effect. “Thanks dad. Are you sure you’re ok with me going out tonight?” 

I feel sort of bad leaving my dad all alone tonight. He’s been a mess lately. Not only is he crazy stressed at work but he was devastated when he found out about Harry Charleston’s arrest. It was all over the news: pictures of Harry being taken in by detective Amanda White and her posse of officers. The corrupt politician was finally brought into light and Vertigo will be better for it. 

“I’ll be fine Mack,” he says with a slight smile even though he really doesn’t look fine. My always dressed to the nines father is looking a little worse for wear. He has deep bags under his eyes, his hair is ruffled up, his tie on crooked. “This is your night. Go have fun with your friends.” 

I want to protest but that’s when the doorbell rings and my father waves me off. I go to fetch the door where my very charming homecoming date has come to greet me. 

“Wow... Mack you look... wow,” Mike says, jaw dropped. 

“That’s just the reaction I was going for,” I grin, “You look pretty snazzy yourself.” 

I lean closer so I can attach the bright red boutonniere and Mike attaches the matching corsage to my wrist.

“Ready?” he asks, shining his million watt grin.

I pause to take him in. He really does look good...

“Ready,” I say finally, calling goodbye to my dad before letting the door slam behind us. 

...

We all meet up at the dance. 

Cammie looks gorgeous of course in her baby blue dress, her blonde hair curled in a cascade of ringlets. She even looks pretty happy towing Fletcher on her arm. She tackles me with a hug when she sees me, going on an on about how great we look and how awesome the decorations are and who she thinks is going to win homecoming queen. She doesn’t even pause to take a breath until Fletcher grabs her by the arm and leads her to the dance floor. 

Finn is here too of course. He’s looking pretty good in the tux and tie I got him. His nerdy glasses sit on the tip of his nose still but tonight he looks anything but dorky. He winks when he sees me before giving Mike one of those bro fists. 

Abbey Tanaka is here with him. She’s pouting from the side and won’t meet my eye. I guess she’s still a little bitter about how everything went down. 

But I won’t let her kill my spirits. Tonight is going to be perfect. The gym actually looks awesome, I’m with all my best friends, I have the best dress, and the DJ ain’t half bad. 

“Want to dance?” Mike asks, extending his hand out. I take it and let him twirl me to the dance floor. 

I dance until my feet ache and then I kick off my heels and dance some more. Mike is a natural (Is there anything that boy can’t do?) and I just bob beside him. Finn isn’t bad either, his super powers allow for a bit of extra coordination, as he jumps up and down to the beat. Fletcher, however, steals the show when he attempts to do the worm in the middle of the dance floor.