Kryptonite

For the first day of the year the Vertigo skies are spotless. There's not a cloud in the sky and the endless blue stretches out to the horizon. It's a sign of summer and to celebrate the entirety of the Vertigo High student body has decided to eat lunch outside. 

Cammie is already sprawled out on top of the table, flaunting bare shoulders in her questionably dress code tank top. "Hello darling," she chimes, throwing her head back to soak up the sun, "Today is a great day. Do you know why?" 

I set down my lunch tray. A moment later Mike and Finn who were laughing at some inside joke sit down on either side of me. "You get to work on your tan?" I guess. 

"Well duh," Cammie laughs, "But I have more good news. You're looking at the new president of the official Hero fan club." 

My jaw drops, Mike raises an eyebrows, and Finn practically blows his chocolate milk out of his nose as he cracks up laughing. 

"When our councilors said we should have more extracurriculars for college I don't think that's what they had in mind," Mike says, looking slightly concerned for our friends sanity. 

Cammie ignores him. "It's a big deal. We have weekly meetings, a website, and we're getting t-shirts with the Hero's face on them! Mack I'm putting you down for one." 

My mind flashes to Finn's face plastered on a white-t and I subconsciously tug at my peach colored cardigan for fashion reassurance. "Uh, let's not." 

"Too late!" she cheers, hopping off the table and plopping down across from me. 

"So you think the Hero is hot?" Finn snickers behind his big nerdy glasses. 

I shoot him a glare for teasing my ignorant best friend but Cammie is already on a roll. She starts blabbering on and on about how hot superpowers are and how she made eye contact with him when he saved the day at the plaza. The whole time Mike just rolls his eyes while Finn tries not to fall back in his chair laughing. 

She doesn't even stop to take a breath and only hesitates when Abbey Tanaka worms her way next to Finn. "Hey Hoco date! I got my dress the weekend" she fake smiles, while pulling up a picture of the dress on her phone. She passes it around to Cammie and then to me. It's admittedly pretty with long black ruffles and gold trims even if it does look suspiciously like my dress from last year. "I'll take care of the whole corsage/boutonniere stuff. You just need to get a matching tie." 

Finn shoots me a worried look and even though I'm still mad at him for asking my arch nemesis to homecoming I know he's helpless without me. "Don't worry I'll pick something out for you," I sigh. Abbey twitches a little, as if she doesn't like me being Finn's go to girl, but that's too darn bad.

"We'll be the best dressed at the dance," Abbey coos, "I know Finn looks good in black and gold." Wait, black and gold? That's the Hero's colors. 

When I look up Abbey's eyes meet mine and just for a second she smirks challengingly. But before I can say anything she turns her head and starts talking to Cammie about the after party. 

It has to be a coincidence, right? There's no way Abbey picked those colors because she suspects Finn is the Hero. Still, I don't like the way she looked at me. As if she knew something she's not supposed to. 

"I'm so glad you're not crazy about this whole dance thing," Mike whispers after about another ten minutes of Cammie and Abbey homecoming talk. 

"Who said I'm not crazy?" I tease, "If homecoming is anything less then perfect our friendship is over."

After lunch everyone goes off to class but I decide to linger in the sun for a moment longer. Finn stays behind with me. 

"How you doing sidekick?"