Chapter 2: Big News

Late March - April 1992

The next day, Nathan and I returned to continue our jobs. All day, we'd research diseases together in the office. Sometimes, patients would come, asking for help with their health. I'd examine their symptoms carefully, trying to determine what their diagnosis was. Many people that I studied and sought to help had HIV/AIDS, the disease I was best known for studying.

Though I spent much of the day at the clinic, I still found time to meet up with Roger and the other band members, John Deacon and Brian May. Our favorite place to meet was the Crown Cafe, an East End coffee shop. The cafe held so many memories for me, as it was the place where I first told Brian and John of my plan to help Freddie, and where Nathan had proposed to me. Brian and John both loved talking to my husband as much as Roger did. They even came up with a nickname for him, "The Yank", as he was from New York City.

It was great to spend time with friends, especially since I was busier than before. As a single woman, I could only cook pasta, frozen pizza, fried eggs, vegetable soup, and cheese on toast. Now, I had to learn to make new dishes. One night, while I was experimenting with sauteing chicken, Nathan opened the front door, and John and his wife Stephanie followed behind him.

"Hey, baby," he said, tossing his satchel to the ground. I looked back at him.

"Dinner's almost ready. I see the Deacons are here," I commented.

He nodded. "Do you mind if they stay for dinner? I kinda invited them over."

"No, I don't mind. There's plenty of food." I hadn't been very close to Stephanie, but I saw this as an opportunity to get to know her better. She was about 40 years old, with thick, curly brown hair perfectly framing her face, and glasses. She was dressed in a simple white blouse and a brown pencil skirt,

"Hello, Ella. It smells delicious," she said.

"Thanks," I replied. "Nathan, will you set the table?"

"Sure," he responded. John and Stephanie waited on the couch.

After I finished cooking, we sat down at the kitchen table to eat, dining on the chicken with green beans and rice as a side dish.

"This is really good,," John commented, with a big, gap-toothed smile.

"Thanks Deaky. I'm trying to learn how to cook."

"Consider it a success," he said, in his quiet voice.

After dinner, we had time to engage in conversation. We didn't really talk about anything in particular, just chatted about our lives. Stephanie and I spent quite a few minutes talking about our husbands, and thant's when the question came up again.

"Do you want to have children, Ella?"

"Yeah, sure. But just one or two."

"If you need someone to talk to, feel free to talk to me or Elizabeth May," Stephanie said.

We continued to chat, the four of us, about are usual life, the weather, and current events. The Deacons left at about 10 that night, leaving Nathan and I alone.

"Do you think we're ready to have a baby?" Nathan asked as I put on my pajamas. I nodded.

"If you're ready. Do you think we can handle raising kids?"

"Sure," he murmured. "I'm ready."

I gazed at him. "Me too." I walked toward the bed, my husband following me.

It was a perfect night, full of sincere love.

A week and a half later, when I went shopping at the supermarket, a thought popped into my head as I passed the feminine hygiene section. What if, I thought, maybe, I'm pregnant? Id' like to know, if I am...

So I purchased a pregnancy test, just to be sure.

And that afternoon I told Nathan-

"I think there's a chance I might be pregnant. I don't know whether I am or not, but I have a feeling, you know? I got a test kit today. Do you understand?"

His dazzling eyes shone. "Yes. I want you to know that I'll always be by your side. Forever."

"Thanks." I grabbed the test kit and walked to the bathroom.

And that afternoon in April, I found out, that, Indeed, the test was positive. I ran out of the bathroom, holding the test pen. 

"It's positive!" I cheered. "I'm pregnant!"

Nathan hugged me tightly, and I closed my eyes for a second. At that moment, all I could think about was my excitement. I'd definitely share the news the next day.