Eight: Fall and Soar

Its a long way to fall, Jean first thinks when he looks over the side of Wall Rose in with a cadet seal on his chest and military blades in his hands. He thinks that maybe he will never have to think about falling again, after he has joined the military police in three years. He will be soaring in riches and pride.

But Jean soon discovers that he feels that he only truly soars in his 3dMG, the wild tattoo of his heartbeat, with the wind whipping in his hair and the pounding drumming  of thrill rushing in his ears. When he flies, he feels alive.

And he soars in battle. He never knew this, and it makes a part of him sick, to think that he is like Jaegar in his bloodlust and heart. He realizes that he cannot soar forever.

A gust of wind hits him as he flies, reality harsh and cold and making him realize how different he has become. When he braves the cold and looks down, he sees what is left of his best friend, his Marco. He does not see the smile curve Marcos lips, or see the fire in his eyes. Instead, there is death and blood. He stops soaring.

He falls.

He falls that long way and when he hits the bottom he breaks and shatters into hopeless, helpless fragments.

But then small words come back to him, Marco's words, and he finds himself wanting to fly again as those words find the shattered pieces and meld them back together. And Jean finds himself standing up and pledging for Marco. He pledges to the Wings of Freedom, that pick him up and help him soar again.

Only this time, he cannot fall because he does not soar alone. He soars with the seal on his chest and a blade in his hand. He soars, truly soars, with his best friend in his heart.

He will not fall again.