Chap 6 "Next Steps"

Steve's POV

"Yeah, we did," I nodded. "Are you hungry?"

"When am I not?" JJ questioned as we got our gear off.

"We still have a little time till our one year is over," I replied. "Let's go get some dinner."

"Okay," JJ smiled. We got into her car and I drove her to the restaurant she used to work at. "Steve, I haven't stepped foot back in for a year."

"Come on," I smiled as we got out of the car. "Let's show them the new and improved JJ that became a badass because she took on new challenges."

"Yeah, a manger to criminal catcher in a day," JJ sighed. "I don't know if I should be worried." We walked inside and a guy was at the register. "Hey, Jake."

"JJ," Jake smiled. "We were wondering when we were going to see you again."

"Yeah, well, I took the job," JJ replied.

"What you're wearing is dress code?" Jake asked.

"Five-O doesn't really have a dress code," JJ replied. "My boss only tells me to wear what I want as long as it doesn't get in the way of my job."

"Okay, well, then, I have a favor to ask you," Jake looked at me.

"This is gonna be good," I crossed my arms.

"Just listen, Steve," JJ rolled her eyes. "What is it, Jake?"

"Joe's having a meeting with all the servers in the back," Jake pointed. "They keep asking when you were coming back."

"What did you tell them?" JJ asked.

"That you quit but they don't believe me so you wanna go back there and tell them yourself?" Jake asked.

"I'm kinda here celebrating my one year with him," JJ pointed at me.

"I thought that was like last month or so," Jake replied.

"Me joining the team, yeah, but I meant me being with him," JJ replied.

"You're dating your boss?" Jake asked.

"Yeah, you got a problem with that?" I asked.

"No, it's just not a lot of places allow employees dating the boss," Jake stated.

"Maybe, but we're a special task force who works under our own rules," I replied. "As long as we get the job done, that's all that matters."

"Right," JJ sighed. "But I'll talk to them for you. Come on, Steve." We walked into the room where a guy was talking to the servers. "Hey Joe."

"JJ," Joe stated. "Please help me out here."

"Yeah, I got it," JJ smiled. Everyone was asking her question after question. "Okay, guys. I need you to settle down, okay?" They all looked at her. "I've been gone for a year and you guys go chaotic. That's not the people I hired. Where are those people I hired at, huh? You guys gotta show respect to Joe and all the other managers out there." She looked at all of them. "Please, I just don't want to see you guys lose your job because of this attitude behavior."

"Where did you go?" a girl asked. "Tell us, where did you go?"

"Andrea, I got a better job," JJ sighed. "I got a job as an officer on the Five-O task force."

"Who's the muscles?" Andrea asked.

"This is Commander Steve McGarrett," JJ looked at me. "My boyfriend of one year and my boss."

"You're dating your boss?" Joe asking. "Isn't that illegal?"

"Under the Five-O rulebook and myself, it is not," I replied. My phone rang and I picked up. "Yeah, McGarrett."