Chapter 18

The sun peaked through the curtains, of course the split would land right in my eyes. I made a nose close to a grunt, not eager to get up and not at all willing as a morning winter chill settled about Sasuke's room, the heater not yet kicking in. Keeping my eyes shut, I rolled over to suck up Sasuke's warmth, only to find the other side of the bed empty. I threw out a hand and felt around, as if he was just out of reach or he would somehow reappear and then when that didn't happen I opened an eye to confirm that he was, in fact, gone. 

I huffed and couldn't help but be disappointed. Who's warmth was I going to steal now? On the other hand, I had the whole bed to myself now, so I took full advantage of it. 

I must have fallen back asleep because someone woke me up by pulling the covers away and poking my cheek. 

"Move over bed hog."

"No," I grumbled and pulled the sheets back over my head. 

"You are aware that it's my bed." 

I let out a groan and snuggled more into my blanket. He kept pulling at it and I kept trying to keep it over me. He stopped pulling and I thought that I had won but arms picked me up and tossed me to the other side of the bed. I squealed, then erupted into a fit of giggles as Sasuke yanked the covers over himself and were almost nose to nose. 

I looked up at him sheepishly, "Good morning."

"Hmmm," He hummed. 

I snuggled into his chest but he wouldn't put his arms around me. 

"Hug me back you dweeb," I whined. He didn't for a moment, just to spite me, then wrapped his arms around me and pulled me close. I breathed in his scent and got the feeling. The feeling that's like a warm, calm blanket over my heart. Like this, him, is home. 

"You weren't here this morning so I got excited to have this nice big bed all to myself." 

"Oh so that's what I get for getting up early and making some breakfast?"

"You cooked breakfast?"

"Well don't sound too incredulous. I can cook. Better than you at least." 

"Oh please. That coming from someone who will eat a whole tomato plain without cutting it or adding some type of seasoning."

"Hn." 

He started to poke me in my sides, obviously because he couldn't think of a valid argument and sent me into a fit of giggles once more. 

"Stop! stop ha ah. I can't- I can't breath ha aha!" I tried pushing his hands away. I started to poke him back in defense and a silky laughter erupted from him as he hugged me so tight, I couldn't poke him anymore. My face felt extremely hot and my heart was thumping so hard I'm sure he felt it. Instead of struggling, I just buried my face into his neck.

It got silent, and I held him closer, not getting enough of his warmth. 

"What's up?" his fingers brushed the hair away from my neck, sending a shiver shooting down my spine. 

"Nothing. I just really missed that laugh."

I sat up. "Foods gonna get cold."

He sat up, adjusting the pillows against the headboard and folding the comforter over our laps. 

Breakfast was good, though it required little cooking. He made toaster waffles, toast and some scrambled eggs plus a steaming cup of coffee with just the right amount of sugar and cream. 

I felt like a couple of newly weds or something. All the flirtatious looks and little giggles. Mostly silent conversation as we sipped from our mugs but some verbal. A rare moment with how to himself Sasuke is.