Horseplay

Lucky looked up at Maedhros with beady brown eyes as if to say, "Did you just call me a genius?"

The redhead elf abruptly dropped the plump rabbit, who promptly skittered away into a pile of fallen feed. "Alright! I didn't realize rabbits were sensitive!" Maedhros huffed.

"Fine," Maglor smiled. Which horse do you want to use?

"Snowborn," Maedhros said, approaching the stall right next to Anarocco's.

"That stallion's huge! Maybe start with something smaller. . .?" Maglor warned.

"He's the gentlest horse we own. Besides, his back has room for three," Maedhros opened Snowborn's stall.

Snowborn pranced out, enjoying the moment to stretch his thick grey legs. The rest of him was ivory white; his mane glistened like rich cream. The light of Valinor shone in his amber eyes, for he was a foal when the Noldor were exiled.

"I never get tired of that coat," Maglor commented.

"He's beautiful. The boys are going to love him," his older brother added.

"Saddle up while I go call the twins," instructed Maglor.

Maedhros silently nodded. He followed Maglor with his gaze, and noticed that the sun had begun to shine through the mist just a little.

Soon, Maglor returned with the twins at his heels. The children had changed outfits for the outdoors, with matching green shirts and long black pants.

"Great! Now how do I tell you apart!?" Maedhros took one look at the boys and laughed.

"I'm the cute one with black hair," Elros smiled.

"And I'm the cuter one with brown hair," Elrond playfully nudged his older twin.

"Understood," Maedhros smiled.

"Er, Neylo, I thought I told you to saddle up," Maglor looked at Snowborn suspiciously. The horse only wore a simple lead bridle.

"Lesson one," Maedhros looked at the twins, "If you can't trust your horse with your balance, you can't control him."

The twins nodded and edged closer to the towering animal.

"Up you both go. Kano, a little help?"

Maglor grabbed Elros by the waist and swung him onto the patient horse's back. Maedhros hoisted Elrond up behind his brother.

"Elros, hold the mane; Elrond, hold your brother."

Maglor watched his older brother take Snowborn by the reins and lead him to the nearby pasture. By then, the sun had fully dispelled the mists for the first time that spring.

Elrond looked back. "But what about lessons?"

"This is your lesson," Maedhros smiled.

"Oh," the boys said as one.

The warrior stopped in the middle of the fresh green field. "For now, we'll practice staying on your mount. Snowborn is patient, so he won't bolt."

"Uncle Neylo, what does 'bolt' mean?" Elros asked.

"It means that your horse will randomly run away—with you on it." As he explained, Maedhros lengthened the reins.

"Sounds fun!" Elrond jumped in his seat. Snowborn flinched, but stayed put.

"It isn't. You lose control. But Sbowborn has never bolted on me. Right, boy?"

The stallion tossed his head and nickered. With a nod from the elf, Snowborn picked up his hoofs and began plodding in circles around his master.

"This," Maedhros explained, "is called lunging. We'll start with a walk, but soon you'll be galloping. Now, try to stop yourselves from bouncing."

"How?" The boys asked.

"Stop squeezing with your legs and let your shoulders lean back slightly," Maedhros smiled.

The twins tried his advice and their ride immediately smoothed out.

"You're getting distracted! I know Snowborn is gentle and knows what he's doing, but not every horse is that way. Keep your eyes in between your mount's ears," the elf corrected.

Once the children concentrated, Snowborn sped up into a light canter.

"So far, so good. Now, I'll lead you randomly," Maedhros warned. He shortened the lunge line and wandered around the meadow, letting Snowborn nibble on some clover while the boys enjoyed the sun.

"Can we go faster? Please?" begged the twins.

Maedhros sighed and smiled, "Alright. Move forward, Ros."

Elros shimmied forward. His uncle deftly swung on behind him.

"Hang on, twins," Maedhros smirked.

Snowborn shot away into the sunlight, careening around the trees just to flex. His beautiful white body soared over the flowers, hoofs barely touching grass. Whinnying with glee, the stallion thundered towards the stables, rounding an imaginary turn just before reaching the stable gates.

The boys whooped with joy, relishing in every ripple of Snowborn's powerful flanks.

"Faster, Snowborn!" the twins begged.

Knowing that his little riders were very inexperienced, Snowborn tossed his head and ignored their squeezing legs, and kept a steady, safe gallop.

"I think that's enough riding for one day!" Maedhros shouted over the wind of Snowborn's speed.

With one stride, Snowborn changed direction and trotted back to the stables.

"Again!" the boys begged when their uncle slid them off the charger.

"Perhaps tomorrow, little warriors," smiled the redhead.

Have some more Maedhros. In case you're wondering, "runts" has evolved into a term of endearment, so don't be alarmed when I reuse it. This chapter was a blatant guilty pleasure, because I got to spill some of my horse knowledge. Want to see any further lessons?