PROLOGUE

Maggie Brown:

Maggie Brown:

-[]-

December 25th 2011

 Maggie never liked Christmas.

 Maybe it was because she was a bitter widow with no one to celebrate with. It was probably because she didn't think it was worth money or struggle. Or maybe it was the fact that she thought the 'Holiday Spirit' was a big fat lie otherwise known as constantly being drunk and extremely fake.

 Come to think of it she really hadn't a clue as to why she despised Christmas, all she knew was that she would rather live a Santa free life, rather than drown in debt for the rest of her miserable existence.

 Wrapping her coat around her self tightly she let out a breath and watched the steam blow from her lips and disappear into thin air. She found herself wanting to do just that herself more and more these days. 

 Taking on last appreciative look at the view she scrambled off of the bench before the tide came in and made her even colder than she already was. She took off marching down the empty road.

 Maggie always knew she was different than most people. Whether it was the way she thought or the way she talked, she always had her own quirky twist on things.

 Like on Christmas day, most people had made a tradition of staying inside within the comfort of their own homes. Maggie absolutely despised the idea of being like 'Most People'. So, of course, she made a tradition of staying outside where it was coldest, and as far away from comfort as she could be.

 Of course, shivering your socks off by the sea on a cold December morning would be anybody's worst nightmare. But Maggie found comfort in the fact that she wasn't just anybody. She was Maggie Brown. And that itself was enough to get her through any ordeal.

 She quickly found herself climbing the steps to her door. Maggie blew on her hands, rubbing them together, before fumbling for her keys in a pathetic attempt to get a grasp on them. After a great deal of struggling she had managed to get her key upright and into the keyhole. With a click, she let herself into her house. 

 After quickly shedding her coat and shoes she made a beeline to the kettle. Another tradition, she had been quick to add to her Christmas day routine after discovering that the aftermath of staying out in the freezing cold was not pretty the following morning. 

 Maggie nestled into her armchair by the window, a steaming cup of tea in one hand and a book in another. "Who needs people when you have Aslan and all of Narnia with you?" She let out a content sigh.  

 Much to her utter dismay, she hadn't managed to read a single sentence before she heard the shrilling of the house phone. With an aggravated growl she stomped over to the small coffee table it sat on.