Don't Back Out (WINTERWATCHER)

Nightfall.

Winter inhaled and exhaled, feeling nauseous. He had made himself as shiny as possible, and had flown from Sanctuary to the rainforest to visit Moon. Normally she'd be at school, but there was a two-week break after every "term". At least, that's what Kinkajou had told him through her letters.

He now waited in front of her hut, tugging at his black pouch. He breathed in the humid air, trying to muster up the courage to knock. The three moons, each half-full, shone down from above, piercing the overhanging canopy and creating pools of moonlight.

Come on, he coaxed himself. You can't back down now.

Winter rapped sharply on the door with his knuckles (first he was going to use his claws, but was worried his serrated IceWing talons would get stuck in the door), and waited, feeling his ice cheeks burn.

A NightWing, presumably Moon's mother, Secretkeeper, opened the door. He saw her face soften. "You must be Winter! Moon's told me so much about you. Hang on, I'll go get her."

Winter gulped, smiling and nodding. He was glad Secretkeeper approved of him (and even gladder that Moon had talked about him a lot), and watched the black and grey NightWing whirl about inside. He heard a muffled, "Moon! Come great one of your friends at the door!"

He heard a furious clattering of claws, and then the door opened.

Winter drew in a breath.

It's her.

I can breathe again.

There she was, in all her glory. The teardrops by her eyes sparkled, and her face lit up so ferociously, it reminded him of the light orbs back home.

"Winter!" Instantly, she wrapped her wings around him and brought him into a hug. He felt her shiver at his coldness, but she didn't draw back.

"Moon! I'm - I'm so glad I could come see you."

She pulled back, and he felt a sudden heat leave him. "Come on, I know the perfect pavilion for stargazing."

She took flight, and he followed her. It was much too humid for him, but he didn't want to complain. 

Soon, the arrived at the pavilion. It was the highest one, and it gave a perfect view of the black roan pasture above them. Moon blended in almost perfectly in her natural habitat.

The two landed and sat down, entwining tails and discussing the constellations.

You have to ask her soon, he told himself.

"Um - Moon?" He asked awkwardly. He tugged at his black pouch, as if it was making him uncomfortable.

She glanced at him. "Winter?" She asked him sharply. "What's wrong?"

He pulled away, dug around in his pouch for a few seconds, and held the earring.

It was one of the extremely few things Hailstorm had managed to smuggle out from the Ice Kingdom for him. It was a beautiful moon-silver loop earring with a sapphire teardrop, like an IceWing version of Qibli's.

He zipped his pouch shut, and clasped the earring in his talons. The sapphire shone in the moonlight, and Moon tilted her head at him.

Winter faced her.

And knelt to the ground.

And Moon stopped breathing.

"Moonwatcher, where do I start with you? From the first day I met you, this very day a year ago, I fell in love with you. I didn't want to admit it to myself, because I was mad about Hailstorm. I'm so, so, so sorry about how I acted to you. But you've been so, so kind to me. How can I ever repay that kindness? Well, I hope this will... I understand if it doesn't, but..."

He held out the earring.

"Moon, will you marry me?"

Moonwatcher was speechless.

For a second, Winter feared he had just made the worst mistake. She's going to say no. 

What have I done?

"YES!" Moon practically screamed, tears cascading down her delicate snout. She took the earring from him and clipped it on her right ear.

Winter wrapped his wings around her, crying half-frozen tears as well. He couldn't believe it. 

He wrapped his wings around her, and in the small dome, she gently connected her snout with him, both crying happily.

"I love you," she whispered after they broke apart. They both glanced up at the stars, knowning the sky was as infinite as their love.

Winter leaned into her. "I love you too."