Chapter 91: Bad Girls Are Stuck With Nice Guys Until The End

So this is the last plot chapter. There will be an Epilogue, which I will write after I post the Prologue for our next book, Tantric. So keep on the lookout for Book 3 to start next week--Leed's story! 

The song for this chapter is Dear Prudence originally written by John Lennon and recorded by the Beatles for The White Album.  I think the lyrics capture the excitement of Mac and Adam as new parents, and it's a perfect Birth Day song for their baby daughter. I love that this version from the Beatle-Inspired Musical "Across The Universe" is a duet, as I imagine Adam and Mac singing to their daughter.

Mac

I wake in the way I've become accustomed to,in Adam's arms. He's watching TV with the sound off. I snuggle into his neck, breathing him in. Then I sit up abruptly, ignoring the backlash of soreness I feel all over as reality hits me.

We are in the hospital. I just had a baby.

My eyes scan the room and fall on the clear hospital bassinet. I feel a sudden panic that it's empty.

"Where is she?"

Adam's eyes are calm and he rubs my back. "In the next room. You've been asleep about two hours. She's been snoozing the whole time. Trace has her."

I blink. "That's not funny, Adam."

He scratches his beard as one side of his mouth lifts in a grin. "It's pretty fucking funny. Wanna go see?"

Actually, I do.

I absolutely feel like getting out of bed and moving around.

"I so wanna see. Just as soon as I clean up a little, okay?" I slip from the bed.

It feels wonderful not to be baby-filled.

I can breathe easier. I can sleep easier. I can move easier. I'm lighter and freer than I've felt in months, despite the overall soreness from my whole body tensing with the contractions, and the weird, swollen, almost numb feelings down below, where I just did battle with my six pound seven ounce baby daughter.

Kade took all the monitors off and my IV out and said I could move around as much I as I felt up to, but that someone should be with me because my blood pressure might fluctuate rapidly now that the preeclampsia is "cured" by giving birth. Which explains why Adam is right with me as I head to the bathroom.

"Adam, you don't want to be in here," I chide, embarrassed as he tries to help me handle things. My post-delivery body is like a damn crime scene.

"MacKenna," he returns. "I just watched you push our baby out of your vagina, and I cried because it was so amazing. We're married and we're parents now. We're in the shit and the gore together, okay?" He gathers up my bloody hospital gown and chucks it in the biohazard.

"It it weird that I love you for this?" I call as he stands right outside the shower ready to catch me in case I faint.

"Not at all. We love each other for so many things more exceptional than this. But this—" he says, as I stand passively and he dries me off, "this is love, too. This is just the real life things we do for one another, now. You changed my bandages and took care of me after I had my appendix out. This is no different."

I put my hand on his heart. "I know, but still...thank you."

He claims my hand, curling it to his lips in a soft kiss.

"You're welcome, Shortcake."

Wow, I am exhausted. A shower took all my energy. Together we dress me in yoga pants and a silky long sleeved tee with a generous neckline. Tam is now an expert at the best clothes for nursing moms.