Chapter 16

"(Y/N)!" I heard Bertl's voice, I turn and see him running over, "I found something we can explore,"

"What is it?" I asked

"Follow me," He smiled and ran

I followed behind

After a few minutes, we arrive at a cave. The opening was too small for an adult big enough for us.

"See, it beats sitting around and doing nothing," Bertl said

"Yay," I laughed, "All we need is a lantern,"

"Where do we get that?" He asked

I smile, "Wanna see a magic trick?"

"What?" He asked

I reach behind me, on my belt was a lantern that I was given for emergencies. I unclipped it and showed him it.

"How'd you do that?" He asked shocked

"Magic," I proudly stated

I then go into my pocket and pull out some matches. I light the lantern and we enter.

Once inside it opened up giving us enough room to walk side by side. I held the lantern and he held my hand to ensure we stayed together.

"Where do you think this goes?" He asked

"Don't know, you?" I replied

"Neither do I, I hope it's somewhere nice," He smiled

"Who doesn't?" I smiled back

We continued to follow the cave. The sound of footsteps rung out as we walked, I look at Bertl and see beads of sweat rolling down his face.

"Bertl, calm down, we're here together remember?" I said placing my free hand on his and giving it a light squeeze

"Yeah, Sorry, just nervous about what we might find," He said 

I take my hand off and we keep walking. While walking I notice a small side path.

"Bertl, Hold the lantern please," I said handing it to him

He takes it and I walk over to the small path, I peek my head in and the ground crumbled under my feet.

"Bertl!" I shouted falling

Then is if by luck I was submerged underwater instead of hitting the ground

"(Y/N)!" He shouted running to the small path

"Don't! You might fall!" I shouted before he did the same as me

"What do I do?!" He asked clearly panicking

"I don't know!" I replied looking around for any land, none

"I think we should get help but I don't want to leave you!" He shouted

"I'm gonna look for some land!" I said swimming about

I duck my head underwater to swim faster, eventually, I find some land

"Are you okay!?" Bertholdt sounded worried

"Fine!" I shouted back, "I've found some land!"

I reach into my pocket and pull out the matches, I light one as they were waterproof. Holding it by the stick I look about.

"There seems to be a path up here! I'm going in!" I shouted

"Wait!" He shouted

Too late, I was already walking down it. It was a steep climb but once at the top, I saw the familiar flicker of a lantern. I blow out my candle and sneak up. There stood Bertholdt, focused on the path I fell down.

I lunged at him, "Boo!"

He jumps and we fall down it.

"If I have to swim, so do you!" I shouted as we both landed in the water

We both surface, I was laughing while he seemed panicky.

"Don't do that," He said 

I hold my hand out for the lantern, He gives it to me and I attach it to my belt, so we don't lose it. I swim to Bertholdt and take his hand so we stay together again. I pull him over to the land, He sits on it with his legs still in the water, I do the same. I unclip the lantern and place it on the land, I dry the nib and light it with a match, It lights up the area. This was the end of the cave from what we could see.

"Nice, a pool," I smiled

"You had me scared when you left," He said

"Aww, Is poor Berty worried?" I asked pulling him into a hug

He hugged back, "Of course," 

We slightly separate and I look at his face giving him a big smile, he returns the smile.

"I saw them go in here," We heard a familiar voice

"They were told not to go off alone," Another voice chimed in

I blew out the lantern  then lean to Bertholdts' ear, "I have a plan,"

I felt him not, I give him the matches then sneak up the path. I look at the three people looking about, I hid in the shadow where the lantern failed to reach, Just as the blond male looks over the small path I charge.

"AAHHHHH!" With that, I tacked him into the water

I could hear laughing from above. There was a big splash. I surfaced and swam over to Bertholdt who was still sitting there. He re-lit our lantern and I watched as Annie and Marcel walked down the small path after seeing the light from our lantern. Reiner surfaced and swam over. I was laughing along with Bertholdt and Marcel while Annie was trying hard not to.

"So this is where you two went," Reiner said sitting next to Bertholdt

"I found the cave and thought It would be fun to explore," Bertholdt explained

"I'm guessing she tackled you in aswell?" Reiner asked Bertholdt

He looks down, "Yeah,"

The whole group laughs except Bertholdt. 

Annie places her lantern next to mine and takes off her hoodie, "Looks fun,"

We all decided to stay and go for a swim. 

I climb back up to the top and get ready to jump. I look behind me to see a charging Reiner, I quickly move out of the way and he runs off the edge. I laugh and jump in after him, I reach the surface I look at him, He smiles then ducks underwater, I feel him wrap his arms around me and pull me under. I try to push him off but that fails, I open my eyes underwater, It stings for a moment but quickly goes away. He motions for me to follow, I give him a finger to say 'one second' I go to the surface take a breath then follow. He leads me over to the path, there seemed to be a small section under it we could hide and who was sitting on the land? Bertholdt. We look at each other and nod. We grab one leg each and pull him under. He flails his arms and legs but once he sees us he stops. I smile and wave before surfacing for air, Bertholdt and Reiner follow.

"Having fun you three?" Marcel asked swimming over with Annie

"Yup," I smiled 

I don't want this day to end...