Chapter 01 - Some Mayan Messages

Since many eclipses there was not so much concern in the court of the Aztec Empire, commanded by Auitzoltl, the eighth king of this nation, who certainly could not even remember some instability within its fabulous city, in tens of generations. It was not exactly times of peace between the Caribbean and Mexican tribes of the past, however, there was a solid control and sovereignty of the Aztecs over the other local societies since they came to power. They were the invincible Aztecs. With military superiority, they subjugated the rival tribes with brutal force, a trademark, and for many years they had only administered small revolts in a vast territory.

This Mexican power had a sophisticated social organization and developed a way of life that differentiated them from other local cultures. They were very sophisticated. Dominated the use of advanced technologies in agriculture and built their magnificent capital with a high-level architecture. In the coming years they would be living the beginning of their own apocalypse, the end of an era for a majority of ancient Mexicans, and their millenary cultures. The conquest of a new world for invaders from the sea. A minority of better equipped men, civilized Europeans, would occupy the territory of the Americas, a vast continent. These human beings still unknown to the rest of humanity lived forgotten by history on the other side of the Atlantic Ocean. These were also people of great warriors. Of noble dictators and cunning priests; of dignitaries and flatterers. Owners of their own stories; rightful lords on this side of the world. But fate would be cruel to one side, and in fact, already happened...

Some Mayan messengers had just arrived in some Aztec cities, including the capital: Tenochtiltlán, with catastrophic news from the coast and the islands. They were very emotionally shaken, with disfigured faces. Couldn't explain anything. They said there would be no way to stop the foreign threat. Not even the fearsome Aztecs could defeat those strange human beings from overseas. Indeed, they doubted whether those creatures were humans or beings sent by the evil gods. When questioned, they could not describe with words what the invaders or their equipment were like, physically; and they mimed terrible things, followed by unusual expressions. They rolled their eyes and drew strange figures on the ground in an unusual frenzy. One might conclude, after all, that they were warriors from another world, invincible demons.

But those messengers had spotted a Spanish or Portuguese squadron, lost in the Caribbean Sea, supplying and repairing the vessels for the still unknown return to the Old World. It was the Christian year of 1484 and the Western European nations, mainly: Portugal, Spain and France, often ventured into the Atlantic Ocean, into waters outside the Strait of Gilbraltar and the already saturated Mediterranean Sea. The new goal was to be away from the old well-known routes, heavily guarded and fraught with dangers, to go after new maritime paths to the south of the African continent, and to new lands to the west.

A worldwide race was beginning to dominate the trade in spices and precious metals.At this time, the sailors were still arriving in the Caribbean, almost by mistake, usually after suffering days of bad weather and furious seas on the Atlantic routes. They landed as they could, desperate, and they were nothing but survivors. They were heading for those islands due to the winds and the sea currents that always suggested that single destination, as a flow of flowing water. It was the beginning of the great western navigations in search of new routes to the East.

The succession of these events caused widespread panic among the native populations. They were terrified by the recurring news of the attacks. A terror exponentially augmented by the dramatic accounts of survivors to unusual contacts. Many coastal inhabitants were already evacuating their villages, fleeing the reach of the invaders. Families and clans abandoned their homes, desperate, going anywhere, hiding inside the rainforests and high in the mountains, never to be found.There are reports of entire tribes who, when they were invaded, fled and threw themselves from the top of cliffs, against the rocks and the sea, thus avoiding any possibility of captivity. An abominable possibility, especially for women.