Chapter 07 - Pindorama

While they were still leaving the vicinity of the village Tupinambá, brutally attacked by the Spaniards, they were reached by the other survivor of the tribe. Tremembé spent a long time hunting in distant regions and remained more than one moon absent from home. It was with its araçá wooden bow and a small fur handmade bag of a painted ounce that he himself had slaughtered. He came with a black painting and red on his face, a symbol of war. As he approached the group, he said:

- I want revenge. I will be invisible. I cannot stand to stay and have to bury them.
And continued a timid march. Whytuya did not have to answer, and simply acquiesced and nodded to whatever group continued the long march. They traveled quickly and approached a new great contact with the Barbados men. They were only a few moons off the northeast coast of Pindorama, where they said they landed most of the invaders overseas.

The group camped near a lonely hill, near the coast, when they spotted a formation of thirteen caravels. It was like a supernatural apparition. The spectators, like children in the circus, found themselves gazing for a long time. The ships almost seemed to float, confusing themselves with the clouds of the indigo firmament. The group was mesmerized by the view of the police station, but Whytuya scattered them from the strange trance with a loud cry:

- Wake up! You are the invaders. Let's go to the coast and we will know what your goals will be.
It was April 22, 1500 when Wythuya saw Peró Pedro Álvares Cabral and his squadron point at the Atlantic Ocean horizon. It was, in fact, the second meeting with the men of Toltec prophecy. This time they met with Portuguese conquerors, another Iberian nation, like Spain. The Andean man was beginning to discover that there were countless nations of these barbaric peoples.

The commander Pedro Alvares Cabral was the first Portuguese navigator, according to the historical records, to step on the beaches of Pindorama. It was the discoverer of this immense territory that would later be renamed as Brazil. So named for the abundance of wood with that same name, rich in colorful pigments. A tree that was all along the coast. Before being definitely Brazil, those lands were provisionally called Vera Cruz Island and also Santa Cruz Land.
The expedition of the Portuguese was making a stop on the coast of this new continent before returning to its original course, towards the prosperous city of Calicute, India. Across the African continent. The passage through Pindorama was just a stop for refueling and rest. On a new occasion they would make exploration and recognition of the new conquered territory. They would make the first investigations, but they did not plan to linger on that Atlantic coast.

Vasco da Gama, another great Lusitano navigator, had arrived in India, through the passage of the Cape of Good Hope, in the extreme south of Africa, some years ago. The captain had informed him that there really would be land where the northeast coast of the South American continent would be. The old sea wolf said, very observant, that he had seen birds indicating nearby lands, while he was making a detour beyond the current nautical charts. He travelled to the south, sailing away from the African beaches, towards the reckless cape of the storms and the passage to the East.

On the coast of Pindorama, the Portuguese newcomers arrived some distance from the coast, they seemed to make some kind of observation for a safe anchorage and less vulnerable to attacks. With the same approach strategy used to get to Pinzon, Whytuya mingled with the Pataxó people and after some frustrated attempts managed to help the Portuguese enter, safely, in the winding river bar that formed a natural port, very close to where the foreign vessels were.
Years later, the Lusitanians would make an enduring settlement on this site, calling it the hereditary Port of Insurance. Whytuya was next to Copa, along with a group of local warriors, curious, when he greeted the Portuguese with smoke signals from the beach, encouraging the captain to make closer contact with the natives.