63 | a p p r e h e n s i o n

"MY OWN RIVAL is trying to eat lunch with me?" Lena's narrowed cat-like eyes greet mine as I take a seat next to Pepper

"MY OWN RIVAL is trying to eat lunch with me?" Lena's narrowed cat-like eyes greet mine as I take a seat next to Pepper. She bites the end of her carrot with more force than necessary, beheading it like a maniac.

"I don't have a rival. I have no idea what you're talking about." I plaster on a smile that will no doubt get under her skin.

"Lena thinks everyone who is smart or mildly attractive is her rival." Martsia rolls her eyes and dismisses her girlfriend with a flick of her wrist. "You're always welcome to sit with us, Mason."

"Thanks, Martsia." I smile at her while pointedly aiming at Lena, "You always were the sweet one."

Lena merely grunts and chomps into another carrot. It's impossible not to notice that Martsia is eating the exact same lunch as her girlfriend, but with significantly smaller portions. I wonder if I've ever seen her eat lunch before today. According to all the things Pepper told me, Martsia might suffer from bulimia like one of my friends did many years ago. While I would love to help her and give all the advice in the world, I know it's not my place, and I can't help but let my attention falls to Pepper who's silently scooping homemade chicken soup between her chapped lips.

Ever since this morning, she's been eerily silent. Two panic attacks within moments of each other. The second one harder to ease than the last. Both because of Lucas. I was afraid that I'd have to call an ambulance because she couldn't make herself breathe for nearly an entire minute, but when I suggested she get help, she just freaked out even more about inconveniencing her friends and family.

Since then, she's been mute. Though her silence isn't fearful, just soft-spoken and stained in lifeless melancholy. I know demanding answers is not going to help, even if my soul is dying to. Asking her if she's okay won't help either. She'll just lie and say yes despite how jumpy she gets if someone merely brushes into her. Despite ducking her head as we get through passing period like a deer in the safari. Despite the frantic darting of her eyes whenever a new kid walks into class. Even the way she looks almost terrified to enter a class that we don't share and how she clings to my side when I finally meet her after her tests.

She's not fine.

Lucas apologized for hurting her and she forgave him out of fear. Something about that interaction makes me sick to my stomach.

He must have hit her. There must have been a fight between them and he lashed out on accident. It would explain why she left for two weeks. Maybe she was waiting for the evidence to heal. It also explains why she seems so scared of him.

I want to think that he wouldn't do that. No matter how irresponsible he can be, I know he cares about Pepper too much to hurt her. But even in abusive relationships...no matter how much the abuser loves their victim, they'll still end up hurting them.

It's best that they stay separated for both of their sakes.

If Lucas did hit her, he has a lot more to worry about than apologizing. If Pepper won't stand up for herself, I'll be more than willing to do it for her. Anger sends my hands into fist across our tabletop. If it weren't for my bitten nails, they'd be digging into my palms right now.