11. "When lips touch"

Eleven. 

"When lips touch"

A pair of lips found Jen's jawline for the third time that night, testing and impatient for Jen to give in. The older girl just took a deep drag from her cigarette and exhaled it out into her friend's cringing face. She backed away from her jawline, pouting and withholding a cough.

The music wasn't too loud, low enough to hear voices clearly. Jen's friends were playing spin the bottle and arguing over a previous pool game she hadn't been present to, while she'd sat back on the couch with her old friend, Sarah McKinney, who had been pushing it all night. Jen wasn't too bothered. She just continued to smoke, listening in to the game and dipping in and out of conversation with Sarah. She wasn't interested in entertaining her any more than that.

It wasn't that Sarah was unattractive, at all, it was more due to the fact that Jen had a certain blonde on the brain. She was way more occupied in planning her pursuit of Marley to even bat an eye Sarah's way. But if it came down to it, Sarah would be the person she'd be leaving with.

"Oi, JJ, you coming to play?" Fran, a friend in college, called, waving her down to the circle.

Jen felt Sarah's hand possessively grab at her knee, and she grinned to herself. The girl was determined to have Jen that night, and Jen admittedly had played with the idea.

"Not right now." She laughed, motioning to Sarah. "Ocupado."

Fran shook her head, chuckling, and Ryan whooped from her side idiotically. Then they both turned back to the game, excitedly deciding who was to spin next.

"How's your extra year?" Sarah's asked, hand not moving from Jen's knee. She was dragging her voice into an awkward purr though her words weren't very seductive like she'd intended.

Jen shrugged. "Shit. I wanna move on to college."

"Yeah, me too, you would've loved moving up with us." Sarah fluttered her eyelashes. "I miss you around."

"Oh yeah?" Jen said flatly, drawing another deep inhale from her shortening cigarette.

"Yeah, definitely, it's not as fun really."

"High school is still as fucking boring. The year below are all assholes." Jen kissed her teeth, trying to turn the topic of conversation away from Sarah's slow descend into pillow talk.

The redhead ignored it completely though. "You wanna come do something fun? Let's at least dance, unless you wanna go elsewhere."

Jen stubbed her cigarette out on the arm of the sofa and sighed, looking out into the groups of people littering the living room. She'd started the night dancing and laughing and catching up with her friends, until Sarah had pulled her away. She was starting to grow more irritable, she kind of wanted to leave. She wasn't in the mood to complicate things with her old friend.

Then her eyes found a nervous-looking blonde in the clearing of the people in the room. She was looking for something, head snapping in all directions of the room. She was in a pretty dress again, one that was darker coloured than the last and much less revealing too. She had thin earrings dangling from her ears and her hair was pulled in a topknot that had loosened faintly.

"Marley." Jen mumbled, rising from the couch.

"Who? What? You didn't ans—" Sarah began but stopped when she realised Jen was no longer listening, striding across the room towards the worried younger girl.