13. "Planet Mars"

Thirteen.

"Planet Mars." 

Jen was in a good mood Monday morning. She'd driven to school a little earlier than she usually would, deciding against turning up late. She'd dressed in brighter clothing too to match her happy mood with a blue and white striped tee with some red plaid trousers (ditching her usual dark jeans). It was when she passed Marley walking too that her mood lifted even more.

She stopped the car beside the girl and rolled down the window. "Good morning, Mars, need a lift?"

The blonde nodded and smiled, opening the passenger door to hop in. She looked okay, not as happy as Jen, but she felt pleased to be back at school. Marley knew somehow Jen would make her laugh or have fun, that's what friends did.

"Mars?" Marley questioned, strapping down her seat belt.

Jen grinned, waiting for her to get comfy to start driving. "Yeah, you like it?"

"It's cool, I like it, yeah." Marley hummed happily. "But why that and not Lee or Marl or I don't know?"

"Cos you're pretty like Mars, the planet." Jen said, driving off down the street.

Pretty, never really would Marley have described herself or the planet Mars as pretty, but Jen's words still made her heart flutter with gratitude all the same. The compliment just reminded her of the kiss all over again and suddenly she was blushing.

"Thanks, Jen." She mumbled.

"Too bad you can't make a unique nickname out of my name. Too short." Jen shrugged.

"Your name is already a nickname, Jen."

"Oh yeah."

"Your full name is Jennifer, right?" Marley asked.

"Yeah, but only teachers call me that really." Jen explained, smiling over at Marley. "Sounds nice coming out of your mouth though."

Jen then laughed at Marley's bashful reaction; the way she hung her head, allowing for strands of hair to cover her blushes and small smiles. She loved it. The moments when she caught Marley unaware, in all her naturality. To Jen, Marley was one of the most interesting girls she'd pursued—for some reason, their kiss had completely occupied her mind all throughout the weekend and she longed to do it over. Marley was a fun chase and Jen knew when she got what she needed she'd be happier than ever. The younger girl was just too preciously innocent, and Jen even suspected that she'd taken her first kiss.

"Uhm, Jen, you've gone past school." Marley said slowly. "You can drop me up here."

"Oh." Jen glanced briefly in the rear-view mirror to check. "So, I have."

"Shall we turn around again?"

"Won't kill us to be a bit late, right?"

"Jen..."

The older girl pulled over further up the street, smiling and taking the key out of ignition. Marley looked worried, as if she'd never been late before.

"I'm not kidnapping you. I just, want to kiss you again." Jen said softly, smirking. She propped herself up by her elbow on the steering wheel and she had her face in her palm. She took note of Marley's widening eyes and visible double take, laughing quietly under her breath.

"Again? Why? I thought you wouldn't want to. I mean it was just once!" Marley gushed, sitting up bolt straight.

Jen shrugged. "You're pretty, who doesn't like kissing pretty girls? You worry too much."