3 - Link The Chef

They sat around the fire outside, and Paya searched through a container for some ingredients. After a few minutes she seemed to grow flustered, and Zelda asked if everything was okay.

"I...I just, uh, had a meal planned...and I can't seem to find a certain ingredient."

"What was it? Link knows this place quite well, and he's quite the chef himself so I'm sure he'd love to get it for you."

"Oh." Paya blushed, avoiding eye contact with both of them. "I can't ask you to do that."

Zelda looked at Link, and a silent message seemed to pass between them.

"I'm sure he wouldn't mind."

Link nodded to show Paya that he was fine with it, and she sighed.

"Okay, it's a Hylian Shroom. Don't worry about it if it's too hard to find."

Link knew where to find a bunch of those, and they weren't even that far from the home.

He told the girls he'd be back soon, then set off to look for the mushrooms. After he had walked quite far from the house, he realized he had left his bag with Zelda. He had no weapons on him.

He muttered to himself, picking up a heavy-looking stick and keeping it with him.

He had found about three mushrooms and considered returning to Impa's home, but a sound caught his attention.

Whatever it was was in pain, but Link couldn't see anything from where he was standing.

He stepped forward, trying to identify the noise, and saw a Korok whimpering on the floor. It seemed like it was trying to run away from something but ended up tripping and getting entangled in vines.

Link ran up to it, freeing it of the vines, and the Korok clung to his neck. Something was wrong. The Korok had been trying to escape something.

He went further into the forest, and after about five minutes of walking, he began to see green wisps.

He wondered if Zelda needed him. He wondered if she and Paya were in danger and if he should turn back. He shouldn't have left her side, he should have never—

The korok squealed, and a low grumbling sound emitted from somewhere not too far. He wanted to go further, he wanted to find out what it was but...Zelda might need him.

Link set the korok down on the grass, rubbing its head.

You'll be okay buddy.

After another grumble from the ground, all the green wisps seemed to be drawn towards it, and they all floated in the direction of the sound.

Link took a deep breath, and he knew what he was going to do. He would come back here, and he would come back with Zelda.

◈▣◈

Link picked a few more Hylian Shrooms on the way back, and he could see the orange glow of the fire as he got closer to the house.

He could hear Paya and Zelda talking amongst each other.

"He's been gone for a while. Should we look for him now?" Paya asked.

He could see Zelda shake her head. "Link is the greatest warrior of all Hyrule, if not the world. He doesn't need our help, I'm sure."

Link smiled to himself, happy that Zelda thought so highly of him.

"How do you know Link so...personally? I...I feel like him being your guard and all, you'd be more...uh..."