13 - Things Are Repeating Themselves

After Riju had offered to take care of Vah Naboris, Link realized that they didn't have anyone else to handle Vah Ruta. It couldn't be him, because he was going to face the Calamity head on, and it couldn't be Zelda. Not only did Link want her by his side but she also needed to use her sealing power.

But Ganondorf had said this Calamity was different. More powerful. So what if what sealed it last time wasn't enough to seal it this time?

What if he let Riju down like he let Urbosa down?

What if he lost Zelda?

His heart thumped in his chest, and he tried to clear the thought from his mind. He couldn't think like that. He would protect her with his life.

"Back to Zora's Domain we go, then." Zelda sighed. "It's on the way, right? So it's not too much of a detour."

"I thought we're supposed to be going to Goron City," Ganondorf said.

"What are we going to do in Zora's Domain?" Riju asked, ignoring Ganondorf.

"Mipha's brother, Prince Sidon, is there and I think he'd love to help us. I'm going to offer him the chance to handle Ruta."

"If he declines, can I do it?"

Link glared at Ganondorf. If he thought for even a second that Zelda would allow him to pilot a Divine Beast, he was wrong.

"I don't think so, Ganondorf. Link and I will need you with us when facing the Calamity, it'd be inconvenient if you were on a Divine Beast."

Ganondorf groaned. "That's...reasonable, I guess."

Of course it's reasonable, Link thought. Zelda didn't just say things for no reason.

Zelda seemed to notice his silence and glance at him.

"Are you okay?" she asked.

Link nodded, hoping that was enough for her. He didn't need her worrying about him when there were more pressing matters.

She gave him a small smile, and something warm blossomed inside Link's chest.

He ignored the feeling.

"So...if you don't mind me asking, Ganondorf, how are you...Gerudo? Like why aren't you covered with malice or some ugly pig monster?" Riju smirked. "If anyone were to look at you they certainly wouldn't think you used to be Calamity Ganon."

Link rolled his eyes and pinched the gerudo chief's arm.

"Ow!" She pouted. "It was a good question."

Link tuned Ganon out as he began to explain his detached-from-malice story and instead focused on the threat that was probably currently inhabiting Hyrule Castle. What if it spread its malice? Zelda wasn't there to hold it back this time. What would happen?

Zelda would be devastated if their month's work went to waste. Would the Calamity destroy Hyrule without a second thought?

"Link, can we not use your Sheikah Slate?" Zelda asked, bringing him back to reality.

He had never tried the Sheikah Slate with four people. Trying to do it with Zelda was a risk enough. What would happen if the Sheikah Slate wasn't able to do it? Would one person stay behind or while teleporting would they disappear?