Chapter 7

Rupa and Abhiram were in the doctors' room talking.She knew Abhiram was angry,so she tried to make him see her perspective of things.

"Abhi, I'm sorry I didn't mean to hurt you. I trust you. I promise. But I'm possessive and you know I can't help it." Rupa apologised holding her ear lobes.

Abhiram didn't respond to what she had told. He just stood there with his arms folded and studied Rupa's face intently. He was completely caught off guard when Rupa moved closer to him and put her arms around his neck. She then got on her toes and started kissing Abhiram.

"Rupa,no not here.There are people"....he managed to say to her as he held her waist,trying to push her off.

Abhiram sensed there was somebody at the door and pushed Rupa aside hastily.

Ritika initially couldn't perceive what was happening and when she understood what was going on ,her mouth opened but no words came out. For a moment she stood rooted to the spot and her gaze met Abhiram's. She swiftly turned around and walked away feeling guilty for ruining their moment.

Abhiram was equally shocked and was angry with himself and Rupa for being so irresponsible.

" This is so embarrassing.  How am I going to face her ? Shit, I feel like kicking myself".Abhiram groaned feeling terrible.

"She intruded on purpose ,I know that.She very well knew we were talking.And why are you so worried about what she thinks?" Rupa started to talk and Abhiram's lips became taut.

"Just leave Rupa,please." Abhiram clenched his teeth and he could see that there was no remorse  on her face.

The interns in the ER saw a visibly upset Rupa storm out of the Emergency room.

                                                                     ******************

Things got really busy in the ER after Rupa left.

A road traffic accident had occurred in the vicinity of the medical college. It was a head on collision between a car and a truck . The truck driver fled the spot. The cleaner of the truck and the passengers in the car were wheeled into the ER by the ambulance personnel and they were accompanied by police.

As per protocol ,all the victims were connected to the vital signs monitors and their vitals were being noted.

Two people showed flat line on ECG and were being resuscitated by Abhiram.

"Tarak , I have intubated the patient , now I want you to give him chest compressions,will you do that? You and Ritika can do it alternately. "Abhiram knew that Tarak was upto the task .

"Oh yes ! We have the undergone the CPR training." Tarak was confident.

He then looked at Ritika . 

" Is it ok ? Will you both do that?". He felt a little uneasy talking to her after what had happened earlier in the Doctors' room.This is not the time to brood over such things and there is work to be  done, he reminded himself.

"Yes Ram, we both will do this .Anything else? "Ritika understood  that Abhiram was still miserable about  the kissing incident.Embarrassment was written all over his face when  he spoke to her.

"OK then hurry up." He ordered and walked away without looking into her eyes.

Abhiram and Tanusha then attended to the next patient.

                                                              ****************

for friends who are new to medical terminology

1. vital signs monitor

 vital signs monitor

2.Flat line on ECG( represents that there is no heart beat)

Flat line on ECG( represents that there is no heart beat)

3.intubate ( insert a tube into the trachea to help the patient breathe )

4.Chest compressions 

Chest compressions