Chapter 9

Next morning in the ER @ 8:45 am

"Don't you think Abhiram Sir looks preoccupied today. He has hardly spoken anything till now. This is the price you have to pay when you are in a relationship.His girlfriend is very demanding I believe." Tarak spoke in a hushed voice and looked at Tanusha first and then at  Ritika.

Ritika continued to do her paperwork while Tanusha scowled at Tarak . 

"You have an opinion about everyone and everything. How do you know that it's because of his girlfriend ? It might be because of work stress or his thesis. It could be anything. Don't jump to conclusions idiot." Tanusha snapped at Tarak.

" Whoa ! I just wanted to see your reaction. Pretty strong I must say . So you are not against a relationship, are you?.By the way, Tanusha, will you come with me for a movie this weekend? We can then go to some nice place for dinner." Tarak was positive she would agree.

"No way. I'm not coming anywhere with you. Are you always this blunt? ".

"I'm not blunt ,just straight forward .Come on dear, just once. You will have fun. And if you don't enjoy ,I will never pester you again,I promise."

"Ok ,I shall think about it ." A faint smile played on her lips and she nodded her head

"That's an improvement! I will be waiting for you". Tarak was ecstatic.

Ritika stood listening to their conversation although her mind was elsewhere. She was waiting for an opportunity to speak to Abhiram.

"Excuse me, Are you people done gossiping? I need one of you to catheterize the patient on second bed. And one of you will have to accompany the head injury case to radiology Department for an MRI". Abhiram looked 

"I will get the MRI done".Tarak stood up and walked towards the patient.

"Eh, Shall I catheterize the patient Ram? Wait, I'm coming with you."She followed Abhiram who walked towards the patient.

"Just a minute Ram. I need to tell you something." Ritika hesitated.

"Is it urgent ? There is work to be done." Abhiram didn't feel like talking to anyone right now.

"Well, I won't take a minute Ram." She cleared her throat . "I ... about yesterday.. You see these things happen and I guess it's Ok. Please don't feel bad. I can see that you are upset. I shouldn't have come inside when you both were talking but my phone rang. I'm really sorry. And.. please talk to me normally."She spoke very fast  as she was dreading this conversation.

Abhiram felt relieved after listening to Ritika.He let out his breath that he had been holding for some time.

"I'm the one who should say sorry Ritu. I'm furious with myself for doing what I did. Sorry you had to see that." Abhiram took the blame on himself and didn't reveal anything about Rupa's behaviour.

"Ok Ram, just cheer up and smile for heaven sake. You look awful when you are angry." She grimaced , then turned around and started to walk away when she heard Abhiram's voice.

"Hey, Ritu...," Abhiram called her with a smile on his face ." I feel a lot better .Thank You." 

And then he did something ... he  winked. Her heart skipped a beat...

                                                              *******************

Evening @4 :30 pm

Abhiram felt much better and he was back to his normal self by the evening.The ward boy got coffee for them from the Doctor's canteen.

"Ram, did you know that there won't be any  College fest this year.Thought We could watch your dance." Ritika took another sip of her coffee.

"Yeah Ritika, and I had already started practising in my room ". Abhiram said, his disppointment evident in his voice.

"Sir, we can all go out for dinner one day and we all can dance there." Tarak suggested.

"Ram danced for 'Oh Oh jaane jaana' when we were kids. What was that occasion Ram,I don't remember" . Ritika told the others and then tried to remember the occasion.

"Oh yeah that was for my uncle's wedding Ritu. We had so much fun that day, didn't we?"

"Yeah we did". Ritika replied , fondly remembering those good old days.

"But sad, there are some exceptionally good  dancers in our college. I thought it would be so much fun.Vikranth from final year MBBS, subhashish from second year. and not to forget Varnika from second year. Well she is a reasonably good singer too and she is pretty." Tarak's expression was dreamy.

"Ahem, You seem to be smitten by this varnika Tarak. Do you know that she has a boyfriend? Tanusha teased Tarak.

"And you seem to be jealous Tanusha. Don't worry I'm interested only in you dear". 

"What!? Aren't you ashamed to flirt so openly ?"Tanusha's face looked flushed.She rolled her eyes and then looked at Ritu. 

"Oh I see! Now I understand why you literally begged me to post you with Tanusha." Abhiram made fun of Tarak with a mischievious smile on his face. 

                                                        ***********************

In the  main ICU

Rupa was in the ICU attending the evening rounds with her associate professor ,Dr Sudheer.

"Rupa, this patient's electrolytes need  to be monitored twice a day. If you have any trouble, don't hesitate to call me .I will be available for you." Dr Sudheer told Rupa, with a dirty smile on his lips.

Rupa nodded her head and her expression was unreadable though she loathed him .

"Do you have a boyfriend Rupa?"

Rupa was  stunned at his question and didn't know whether to admit about her relationship or not. 

"Sir.. I.." her logical sense told her to admit about Abhiram because at least that way Dr Sudheer would stop flirting with her but she was scared. 

"You always hang around with that ER PG, don't you? Is he the one?" Dr Sudheer licked his lips and placed both his arms on his hips  and Rupa had no choice but to answer to his question.

"Yes Sir." She was nervous.

"Hmm,I see but he is always seen with an intern,I don't know her name though, a cute girl. But you are more  beautiful ,he should be spending more time with you ,don't you think so?"?He said this and  left the ICU.

Dr Sudheer was infatuated with Rupa and was thinking of ways to woo her.He wanted to create discordance between Rupa and Abhiram and he seemed to have  succeeded in his initial attempts.

Rupa  felt like crying out loud. Her hatred for Ritika doubled in a span of few minutes.She took out her mobile and rang Abhiram. 

"Abhi, Where are you ? Are you busy?"

" Im in the ER Rupa and I'm free.Why?"

" Can you come up to the ICU  before you go back to the hostel ? I want to talk to you." Rupa's voice sounded very bitter.

" Yeah Ok. Why are you sulking Rupa?"

 "How do you know I'm sulking ?"

 " Coz I know you very well. You are definitely  pissed off about something".

"That's why I said I wanted to talk to you.Will you come up before your shift gets over?

"OK.Done . Will meet you in an hour.

                                                      *****************************

hello friends ! hope you liked this chapter. pls let me know you opinion.

and vote for the chapter if u have liked it :)

I