chapter 12

Abhiram was angry.It was evident from his prickly demeanor.He had already shouted at the nurses for not getting the blood reports of one of  the patients.He didn't spare the interns also. Tanusha was terrified.She was talking to Tarak about Dr Sudheer when Abhiram yelled at Tarak.

"You both can do your lovey -dovey talk later, not here in the ER.Is it clear?Do you want to reapeat your ER postings ?" He glowered at both of them and continued with his  work.

Dr Shareef had given him the word that he would report Dr Sudheer's obnoxious behaviour towards the postgraduates to the Medical Director. Abhiram didn't want to ignite a  personal rivalry  between the two senior doctors, so he chose to keep Dr shareef in the dark about the anaesthesia associate's vulgar remark at him. But chief nurse in the ER elaborated the previous day's incidents to Dr Shareef, and he was mad. And decided to take it to the notice of the higher authorities.

Ritika was lost in thoughts. She was replaying the previous day's incidents in her mind.How could Dr Sudheer talk like that? Downright vulgar.I feel so sad for Ram.No wonder he was  sulking today.Looks like he would bite off people's heads. That poor nurse already got an earful. And did Dr Sudheer look at me when he told "girlfriends". Uurhhh creepy fellow .My next posting is in the ICU and will be facing him on a daily basis.

"Ram,do you want snickers? I have one with me." She had  bought one that morning incase he asked.

"Nope you can have it.I'm not hungry."His reply was curt. 

"Are you still thinking about yesterday? "She was nervous due to his rather snappy body language.

Abhiram didn't reply. He was too upset and was 

"Ram, are you fine?" She prodded further .

"Will you please stop this question and answer session Ritu.I'm fine. I'm not smiling or talking to you doesn't mean I'm not alright."Ritu couldn't move.She was paralysed but pulled  herself up together.

"I'm sorry Ram, I was just.. .you carry on.Sorry once again." Tears swelled up in her eyes which he thankfully didn't notice.

"Ritika ,why are you crying?" Tanusha saw tears in Ritika's eyes which she hurriedly tried to blink away.

"Did Abhiram sir scold you? He scolded us too.Dont feel bad.Poor chap must be feeling pissed off after yesterday."

Ritika was upset due to his callous response earlier .He hadn't scolded or yelled at her.But his voice was hard and unyielding. Very unlike him.He completely disregarded her gesture.

Dr Shareef meanwhile wanted all the interns to assemble in his chamber after half an hour.

"Hello ,Please be seated all of you.I just called you to ask if you all have learnt something here in the ER or not." He had Harrison's text book of internal medicine open infront of him.He was always studying something.

"Yes sir ."All of them replied.

"I know all of you worked hard.I'm happy .I believe tomorrow is the last day here in ER.So what about the end posting party?"It was a norm for the interns to throw a party to the department after they finished each posting.

"Sir,we shall let you know about the venue tomorrow morning". Tarak told and looked at the others' faces and nodded.

"Off you go then! Get back to work." Dr Shareef was back to reading his text book.

Ritika stayed back in Dr shareef's room. Dr shareef looked up with a quizzical expression on his face.

"What is it Ritika?"