\\ • //

°°°°°°°°

You were pregnant. You were pregnant. You were pregnant.

Like a moment on replay, the words roamed around her head in fragments. The words that are usually a source of immense joy and elation for every couple came as a curse to her. The time when one is supposed to beam and feel the happiness of entering a new phase, Layla Ali Sikander got endless tears and agony. As if, the world wanted her to suffer, this profound melancholy was spreading faster than any poison in her body. Every cell and fibre screamed of the injustice she had endured.

Lost in her thoughts, she was weeping tears of misfortune when the door creaked open. Quickly wiping her face, she turned to see the young girl entering. Layla knew she was with him. Who was she? What was she doing here? She didn't know anything. Everything was hazy and blurred, coming back in flashbacks to torment her tortured soul. However, she distinctly remembered, the events followed after she came back to consciousness.

The girl slowly entered and stood near the edge of her bed. She was twiddling and fidgeting as if she was nervous, a habit she was immune to. "Erm, hello?" Her voice was slow, soft. Layla looked at her. Wide, almond shaped eyes, the color of the sea and the stormy sky fused together was gazing at her dishevelled state. Her tawny frame was divulged in a beautiful plum colored frock, while her duppatta rested on her shoulders. The more she stared at her, the more it reminded her of that man.

Layla tilted her head sideways and gave her a nod. There was nothing to talk about, and she was never good with making conversations. A habit her ex husband had solidified over the two years she'd been married to him. "How are you feeling?" Layla looked at her, she didn't understand what it was, but there was something so profound, so tangible in her. It was as if, her presence calmed the inner turmoil inside of her. A raging inferno that was spreading was being extinguished by her mere presence. Was it her, or was it the lingering shadow that followed this young girl that soothed her? The shadow of Shehryar Khan.

She visibly shuddered at her thoughts.

Every thought led her to him. Was it the universe conspiring against her? Even his mere thought, made her shiver with an intensity that left her spellbound. "I wanted to see whether you need anything. The doctor said, that you're still in a fragile condition but um you can go home." Layla looked at the murmuring girl, who had her eyes fixed on her.

Home.

The word left a bitter taste. What was home? Where was home? Everything was in shambles around her. Her life, her existence. Physically, she may recuperate but what about the emotional trauma that she'd endured? She was holding herself together in this hospital room, for the sake of her dignity. Home was a faraway thing, she didn't even have any family. That is, if a brooding, step mother and her children counted as family that is. Layla knew she wouldn't even let her step in her house for a minute. It was futile.

A low pinging sound jolted her from her reverie. She eyed the young woman who was looking at her phone, with a frown. With a sigh, she looked upwards at Layla and gave her a small smile. "Agar apko koi masla nahi hoto, meray bhai ko apsay baat karni hai. He's waiting outside. Can he come inside? He doesn't want to intrude." She knew instantly who she was talking about. Her senses were hyper alert, and her beating heart was now erratically beating against her ribcage, as if it wanted to break the confines and call its other home. It was such an unadulterated reaction of her body, that she felt as if, she was being reborn. For, Layla had never experienced this type of intensity and pull towards anyone, ever.