\\ • //

°°°°°°°°

The night sky burned black and ebony with the hues of indigo suffused together. Wind swept across the sky, its every stroke caressing the trees and the flowers. The sudden chilling breeze was accompanied by droplets of rain and the smell of petrichor. The Khan residence was sparkling with the lights all around its perimeter. Various voices were heard as the people moved inside.

Shehryar stood up from the wooden jhoola that was placed for them to sit. Them. The word had never seemed so beautiful to him, as it did today. His head moved sideways to stare at his bride, who was trying and was failing miserably at hiding her blushing face. The moment he had gazed into her eyes, he felt the world stop. The way she stared back, her lashes fluttering and her mouth parted.

She was a sight to behold. Her dainty nose, and that subtle hue of red on her cheeks, it obliterated his self control. He still remembered the distinct smell that had filtered around him, when he had been close to her. It was exquisite, just like her. She resembled a hoor, today. Everything about her enticed him. From her bewitching eyes to her rosy lips.

Grasping his hand, she stood up beside him. Someone had draped a shawl on her, so as to not get her dress soaked. It was almost nearing midnight, and the function was being wrapped up. Everyone was tired and almost on the brink of sleep, as they were all busy in the preparations. His heart skipped a beat at the thought of her being in his room.

As they walked slowly, he kept their pace slow, so the others were walking in front. His happiness today knew no bounds, he felt truly thankful that this woman was now his. Smiling mischievously, he murmured in her ear, "do you think, you can walk all the way in these heels? Should I carry you? I think, I should." His voice was low, so that others couldn't hear him.

Her widened eyes and parted lips caused a smirk to form on his face. She looked as if someone had asked for her kidney! Shaking her head wildly, she told him no. His mouth stretched wide, his teeth gleaming as he threw his head back precariously in laughter. Layla stared at him without blinking. She had never seen him smiling so much, as he was today.

As the rain picked up in intensity, they rushed inside. Standing on the threshold, they were welcomed with duas and blessings from the elders. Soon, they were sitting in the living room with their close family members. Since, it was late at night, the few guests that were here were going to stay the night at Khan residence. Amidst, all the chattering and fun, time went on until it was time to go to sleep.

As his sister and cousins came to take her, Layla's heartbeat rose up an octave. She realised that now she was going to be in his room, not hers. It tilted her world and made her jittery with nerves. Standing on the threshold of his room, the wooden door seemed daunting but nonetheless inviting. With shaking hands, she moved inside. Her eyes took in every small detail of the area.

His room was immaculate and in order, every nook and cranny screamed his organized personality. Layla smiled shyly. The dark blue walls were a great contrast with the grey marble floor. High, glass ceiling window opened on one side of the room, with heavy tapestries tied on both ends. The brown, wooden bed was placed in the middle with the side drawers on both sides of it. Dainty lamps were switched on to give the glow.

She moved further in and saw the walk in closet. It was huge and had a full sized mirror that was aligned with the wall on one end. What really caught her eye was the bookshelf that was embedded on the wall near the window pane. It wasn't really big or bulky but it had a considerable amount of books in it. Seemed as if, Mr Khan enjoyed reading a bit much than she'd expected.