\\ • //

• • •

I N  T H E  P R E S E N C E, of the building storm in his unflinching gaze, she found herself to be as collected as, one shouldn't possibly be. While he was anything but calm, Noorayn was as cool as a cucumber. Seeing that there was no sudden hesitation or panic in her stance at his question, he deduced it wasn't something serious. Yet, he held the tiny thread of hope that she would ultimately break the silence by her answer.

"He is Shifa's brother."

Her voice was low and unwavering. Zarrar's body deflated from its initial lethal stance. His bunched muscles loosened and his face lost its clenched shape. His eyes, the darkest shade of ebony though, were still as turbulent as the murky water waves. He knew who Shifa was. She was one of Noor's good friends but why would her brother call her at this time, was the question.

"Why is he calling you then?"

Noorayn looked at his troubled expression and realised the predicament. "Shifa's phone is not working so it's her who's calling me. She's using her brother's phone." As if something was relieved inside of him, he relaxed. The phone had long time stopped ringing but a low pinging sound was heard. Noorayn looked at her screen to see the incoming text messages.

They all were from Shifa.

Opening them, she read each one and then showed it to him, "look it's her. She was calling me to ask about the assignment." Indeed, when he looked at the screen, he could see it was from her. After finally responding and switching off her phone, Noorayn stared at him. He was also looking at her, his eyes fixated on her concentrated face with some unknown emotion brewing in them.

"Were you actually worried for me?"

It was a small whisper but he heard it perfectly. Her eyes, the lightest shade of brown glittered with such magnetic charm that the words were out of his mouth unconsciously, "I always worry about you, Noorie." And it was the most truest thing in the world. He had cared for her, had been worried for her for years, been there for her when she needed a pillar to lean on.

Their friendship was the most purest of all relationships. He was seven years older than her but when they were together, that profound age gap was no more a hindrance. It was as natural as one thing could be. Even when she was a little girl, she had always since then looked up to him. Even though, Armaan and Saad were close to her too but with Zarrar it was different.

Ahwaan House consisted of three brothers: the eldest, Hammad Ahwaan, the second brother Salahuddin Ahwaan and then the youngest, Jahangir Ahwaan. Zarrar was the eldest child of the family. At twenty seven years of age, he was as accomplished as one could be in their lives. Then came Armaan and Saad who were the sons of Salahuddin Ahwaan. Noorayn was the youngest and the only girl of Ahwaan family.

Born to Jahangir and Maria Ahwaan, she was the apple of everyone's eye. Since, the moment she had opened her big, brown eyes; she had captured every heart in the vicinity. Just as much she was shielded and pampered, she was also respectful and of dignity. When she was a mere baby, the three boys had been instantly captured by her doleful gaze and chubby cheeks.

Zarrar even though was sever years old at that time, became her best friend. Every waking moment, he used to play with her tiny fingers. Their family thought it was because he had been really close to her mother. Even, Maria loved and cared for him like he was her own child. And little Noorayn, had always respected and looked up to him in all things of life. He remembered how much he had loved his chachi. When she had been married to Jahangir and came to their house, he had instantly formed a motherly connection with her.