Humbug

The two of you stood in front of the house where the party was held. Calling it packed would be an understatement. People oozed out of it purely because there wasn't enough space to hold everyone as flashing lights and blaring, thumping music, echoed throughout. Lydia seemed to be daunted by this giant socialising trap, but you squeezed her on the shoulder affirm her. "Don't worry, you can do this! I'll be here for you if anything happens... so will this little guy." You said as Beetlejuice crawled onto your knuckle as a tiny voice propelled out "Lemme know if you need some skulls to be cracked, crowds to be ploughed through, people to be seduced etc. I'll be there in a jiff.

You felt like costumes seemed to be pointless at this point. There were so many people in this forsaken party that you could just blend in the mass without an issue. "Do you see them Lyds?" you called out to her as your voice was nearly obsolete in this cacophony of noises surrounding you. "Uh, I don't think so. I think I'll scope out the place and see if I can find them – I'll let you know when I do." Before you could ask about what they look like in case you spotted them she was already diving deep into the party's plethora of people, instantly losing track of her. You looked down at Beetlejuice, "Welp. I guess it's just us two now. How about we find somewhere to sit and wait for her?" it was hard to discern a facial expression from an actual beetle until he finally said "Sure thing, I was hoping I could wreak havoc onto this sea of people – I reckon they have a solid three brain cells each, that I could use to my advantage and have them turn into my dysfunctional cult of drunken, poorly managed breathers." You gawked at Beetlejuice before he added on "Or maybe some beer pong I dunno. Although, I do like the idea of a small corner where we could get intimate, hot stuff. There are probably more pheromones in here than oxygen at this point. You should be ravaging me like a crazed, horny animal if at this party long enough." You laughed as you carried him over to a seat that was in a more isolated area of the house. "Have you ever been to a party before, humbug? Also, Jesus Christ, you come on strong. Do you flirt like this with everyone?" he seemed to tense up when he heard the small pet name you gave him, which strangely enough impacted him more than it should have as he responded "Heh, more or less. Although you have no idea how long I've waited until I could finally talk to you."

You smiled down at him in your hand. God if someone saw you talking to a fucking beetle right now...a demonic beetle no less. "Speaking of which, I would like to get to know you more. I feel like we skipped over the whole "being dead" thing when we were catching me up in the past months. How do you work exactly being a demon-ghost-thingy and all?" Beetlejuice perked up, "Well there's actually a whole book about the ins and outs of death – there's a copy of it in the Deetz' house. It's a boring read so I'll just TL: DR on your cute ass and fill you in on all about ME!" He had crawled onto your finger to get closer to you as he cleared his throat. "So basically – I'm not like any normal ghost that you may encounter. Besides the fact I'm unexplainably sexy – I was born in the Netherworld. Therefore, many rules don't apply to me in the handbook. Unlike most ghosts – I can traverse both the living AND dead realm. Say if you died and went to the Netherworld which... y' know won't happen anytime soon – don't worry. You couldn't come back to the living. It's a one-way ticket." You nodded "Oh, okay so you are kind of your own entity? What about that summoning stuff Lydia told me about?" he continued "Yeah downsides to traversing realms is that I'm invisible to the living. Unless you're gifted to see the dead or are considered 'strange and unusual' which Lydia is - it's like I'm not even there. For the living TO see me, they need to say my name three times in a row. Once that happens, they'll see me indefinitely because they essentially become listed under the 'strange and unusual' because you're not actually supposed to know I'm there. It's not 'normal' so to speak which I find stupid in my opinion." you kind of felt sorry for the fact he can't be seen; it must be a pretty miserable existence. "So, I'm guessing the summoning, visibility and physical interaction isn't a permanent thing, though? Because I couldn't see all those times you would have been at the house." If his tiny bug hands could finger gun he would have at that moment, "Correctomundo! God, beauty AND brains – could you be any more perfect?" you blushed, "Yes, unfortunately, it's not a permanent thing to be seen by the living once I'm summoned. Every time I go to the Netherworld it resets and I need to be summoned again. Gotta follow a couple of rules to break a couple. But a fun little tidbit for you: I'm physical with the living right as we speak. If I caught everyone's attention in this party right now, like scaring them, they would be aware of me for good."