Prologue

I stared at the full moon, before letting out a deep mournful howl. 3 days. That's how long i had till I became Alpha. That wasn't long, and i didn't want it. My brother, Twitch, though had always dreamed of being Alpha. It wasn't for me.... I knew the responsibility and pain the role brought.

I let out a loud snarl of anger as I turned and darted into the woods, the moon lighting the way. Though the bright light, did nothing to ease my dark thoughts. Those brain-rotted hunters. How dare they! I whimpered, my tail tucked between my legs as I revisited the awful scene from the last moon. A human, holding a large shiny stick. Then, a bang, my older sister Rose, crumpling to the ground, still. A howl, as the rest of the pack turns and flees, while my father attacks the human. Another crack, another whine, another still body. I shivered and quickly turned away, angry and frustrated. Why cant Twitch become Alpha? He's more prepared for the role, more eager to take on the responsibility..... I had reached the edge of the forest now. There was nothing past the trees for a while. Just a dull, empty meadow. But beyond that.... A city. The City. A thought crosses my mind. What if?...... I glance behind me, looking towards where the camp should be hidden among the trees. I flick my tail and without another thought I turn and run.