ten

WHEN THE FINAL SIREN blares through the packed-to-the-brim gymnasium, signalling the conclusion of the game, the score is 86-22 — our way, of course.

The entire school launches out of their seats at the sound and the gym erupts into a frenzy of screaming and yelling, banners and scarves and papers being thrown all about, and (of course) hugging. Even I had managed to become invested in the game as it unfolded, so when the buzzer sounds I turn to Calum and envelop him in a warm hug. We jump up and down together, screaming and hugging, both so ecstatic that I can't even question why I'm so invested in a dumb game of basketball.

After a few minutes of celebration, Calum and I decide we should head down to the court and find our respective partners — that is, Luke and Ashton. Michael had appeared at some point during the game, though halfway through he claimed that he was bored and went home — we were both just surprised that he had made an appearance at all. Michael really wasn't into sports.

"Do you see him?" Calum asks as we wander around the court.

I'm scanning the grounds high and low for any sight of Ashton, but there is none. "No," I shake my head, and out of the corner of my eye I can see Luke chatting happily with some other boys. "I see Luke, though — you go."

"Are you sure?" Calum turns to me, poking his head about for a moment in an attempt to find Ashton. "I can wait with you."

"Don't be silly," I tell him, waving my hands at him to shoo him away. "Go on. I'll text you my plans."

"Okay," Calum sighs and presses a kiss to my forehead. "Love you."

"Love you, too," I respond with a small smile and wave to him as he walks towards Luke.

Once Calum is gone, I let out a loud sigh and turn back to the crowded gymnasium floor, still in search for Ashton. We'd agreed to meet after the game, so why wasn't he here? Maybe he was just talking to the coach, or some friends, or his teammates — there would be an explanation, I'm sure of it. Regardless, I shove my hands in my pockets and begin wandering around the court in search of that tall curly-haired boy.

Ten minutes later and I still haven't found Ashton, and I feel like I've done about a million laps of this stupid basketball court and in all honesty I just want to go home. I pull my phone out of my pocket, ready to call Calum, only to find that he has already texted me —

Just left, call if u need x

Great, I think to myself — exactly what I need. I don't want to call Calum and tell him to come back; he already dislikes Ashton and I certainly don't need to give him a reason to make the situation even worse.

I'm just about to exit the gym and begin the long walk home when someone grabs me from behind, startling me and making me scream.

"Sorry! Sorry," my heart rate settles immensely when I see Ashton's face and hear his voice. His skin is glistening with sweat and his hair is matted and messy. "I didn't mean to scare you."

"It's fine," I let the words out in the midst of a deep exhale. "I was looking for you for ages. Where have you been?"

"Oh, just... talking," Ashton trails off, his eyes lingering on something over my shoulder for a moment before snapping back to face me.

"Right," I nod once, eyeing him suspiciously. "Should we go?"

"Go?" Ashton gives me a blank expression, clearly not recalling the earlier conversation we'd had. After a moment though, his face lights up and he grabs both my shoulders in his big hands. "Oh, right! Right. Listen, Rory, I don't think I'll make it tonight. I've got some stuff to take care of."