forty-six

WHEN WE RETURN TO the hotel after our walk — which actually turned into more of a hike — Luke heads straight for the shower.

"Don't take too long, I still want a shower," I call out to him as he disappears into the bathroom, though leaves the door wide open. I glance at the clock on the wall, noting the time. "We've only got half an hour before we have to leave."

Luke appears in the doorway when I look back, dressed in only the pair of shorts he had worn on our walk. His bare chest is sweaty and distracting, and I have to use all of my willpower to drag my eyes up to meet his. He pants, shaking his red face at me.

"I just hiked up a freakin' mountain," Luke retorts dramatically, earning an eye roll from me. "I'll take as long as I want."

I shake my head at him, but choose not to respond for lack of time. While I had expected the walk to be more serene and leisurely, I had completely underestimated how steep and long the journey to the top actually was. I didn't have much of a problem with this, but Luke was extremely unhappy and instead decided to complain the whole time about how "tired and unfit" he was.

"You're on the basketball team," I had reminded him when we almost reached the top. "How are you so unfit?"

"I don't go to the gym to do cardio, Rory," Luke had responded, casting me a judgemental glare that said I should have already known this. "I go to gain muscle."

I rummage through my bag, searching for an appropriate outfit for the night. We had both agreed to dress somewhat fancy, as the restaurant we had booked is far more high-end than what I might attend in California. Thankfully, I had packed a dress and low heels in case an occasion like this surfaced. I tuck both items under my arm and continue ruffling through my bag for my makeup.

Just as I manage to fish out my makeup bag, I hear the shower stop running and a few moments later Luke emerges in just a towel, his hair dripping wet. I gulp loudly, but I don't care whether or not he hears me — he looks hot.

I must stare for far too long, because Luke casts me a confused look. "What?" He asks, slightly panicked, ruffling his hair as if that might be the problem.

I quickly snap into action, clutching my outfit and makeup bag and speeding straight toward the bathroom. "Uh, nothing," I tell him, slamming the door behind me before he can question me further.

Once I have showered, I blow-dry my hair and begin doing my makeup as speedily as possible. As I am swiping eyeshadow messily onto my lids, I am reminded of Anna completing the very same action only weeks ago to prepare for the banquet. My heart begins to ache at the thought of her, and I find myself glancing across at my phone on the counter, tempted to pick it up and call her -- but I know that she won't answer.

I draw in a sigh and finish my makeup, shaking any thoughts of Anna from my mind. I don't want anything to ruin our night. Luke and I have finally escaped the craziness of California -- the lies, the sneaking around, the hiding -- and, even if it is only for tonight, it is just the two of us. I slip on my dress and struggle for a moment to zip up the back, but I am determined not to call Luke in to help me. I finally manage to twist my arm around over my back in a way that allows me to pull the zipper all the way up. I let out a triumphant sigh at this, glancing at myself once more in the mirror before deciding to venture back out into our room.

"Hey Rory, I--" Luke begins, seemingly distracted by something on his phone as he turns around until he looks up to meet my eye, at which point he freezes. His blue eyes widen, his jaw drops open in a small 'o' shape, and he simply stands, frozen, staring straight at me. After a moment, he seems to gather his thoughts and shuts his gaping mouth, clears his throat, and stands more upright. "You look..."