Five

Leigh had never biked so fast in her life. 

"I'll be right back!" She shouted over her shoulder before her father could say anything. 

She took out her beautiful bike and was out of the driveway within thirty seconds. Not bothering to check out if there were any cars coming down the road, Leigh made a hard left, seeing Ash's bright red head on the horizon. With her was an elderly woman, hunched over from years of bad posture, gripping on to a little cane. She was your sterotypical fairytale grandma, with a long dress and shawl wrapped around her head. Leigh stopped her bike, hopping off. Her red face probably matched Ash's hair at that very moment. 

The old woman turned to Leigh. She was white and gaunt and looked like she would blow away into dust if you jostled her. Her green eyes widened at Leigh, and she immdiatly surged forward. Leigh instinctivley backed up a step. 

"Leigh? Leigh Harper? Leigh Jean Harper?" She asked in a wild tone. Leigh flinched at the sound of her middle name. It was her grandmother's name, and she hadn't talked to the family in years. 

"She's been saying that the whole time," Ash said, looking a little uncomfortable. "Do you know her? I tried to ask, but she only says your name." 

Leigh shook her head, dumbfounded by the woman. She wasn't anybody Leigh could remember. 

"Celene." The feeble lady said, an iron tone hidden in her voice. Leigh froze, unsure of what to think at the mention of her mother's name. 

"Wha -?" She meant to ask what the lady wanted, but she interrupted her. 

"The sky is alive, yeah?" Then she wandered off. 

"Wait!" Leigh called after her. "What do you mean?!" Ash pulled her back sharply by the shoulder. 

"Leigh, don't. She's probably just senile, ok? It wouldn't be a good idea." Leigh turned around in annoynce, glaring up at Ash's pale face. 

"...Leigh? Are you ok?" She asked in a gentle tone. 

"Celene... she said Celene, didn't she?" Leigh asked. Ash nodded. 

"Is that someone you know? Maybe we can find them. They might know the lady!"  Ash replied in a hopeful tone. Leigh shook her head slowly. 

"No."

"No?"

"No, Celene... Celene is gone. She - she was my mother." 

Ash's whole face crumpled. "I'm so sorry, Leigh." 

She pulled the shorter girl into an embrace, as Leigh's silent tears slowly fell to the ground, and the sad string was plucked again, for the millionth time in her life. 

A while later, Leigh returned home, pink from the cold. Her dad opened the door, clearly a little miffed that she ran out of the house like that. But upon seeing her happy mood, he relented, leading her into the kitchen where he had some bite size browines on a plate. 

They talked for a while, and Leigh felt settled in, happy. Someone was pluckng her yellow string. After a game of Clue, and many brownies later, the doorbell rang. Leigh jumped up, knocking her chair over and running so fast she almost tripped on the hall carpet. She yanked open the door, and there stood her two best friends in the whole world. 

Madelaine shrieked, throwing her short arms around Leigh. Oliver jumped up and down like a giddy little kid on Christmas, until Maddy let go, so he could hug Leigh next. She led them inside, all talking over each other in their excitment. Leigh introduced her friends to her father, then led them up to the attic.