Eleven

The next day, Six got everyone up early. His movements were awkward and jumpy like something had startled him awake and the adrenaline was still dying down. Leigh felt herself redden a little for some reason when Ash smiled at her. Smiling was Ash's way to ensure Leigh would be ok. When all of them were out, Six led them along a forest path. Six had a way of keeping everyone happy and in cheque, taking care of them all like a big brother. It was very comforting. 

"This is the way to the highway, without being seen. We will hitchike or get a bus or something from there." He glanced backwards, looking a little sheepish. "Could one of you handle the money and talking? See, I was taken when I was four. I don't really understand yet. The city confuses me." He explained. 

Leigh felt a pang of guilt. Four was such a young age...

Sky's face floated to mind, but Leigh pushed it away. Ash was right. There was no reason to beat herself up about it anymore. She was going to get Skylar out. No matter the costs, if she had to lay down her own life to ensure it! 

"Six?" Leigh asked, jogging a little to keep up with his long strides. His grey eyes flicked to her nervously. 

"Yes?"

"What is she like now? Skyl - Nine, I mean." Leigh held her breath. Six gave her the same level look from yesterday. 

"She is quiet. Barley ever talks. And very still. But very kind. And brave. I've never met a braver little girl. She is hopeful. She knows you are coming, she has never let go of that little hope, Leigh. I can't wait to see her reaction when she finally sees you!" Six bounced a little. 

Leigh managed a little smile, but her insides twisted. Skylar, quiet? Barley talking? Not moving? That didn't seem right. The Sky she knew was loud and obnoxious, and she never shut up. It used to annoy Leigh greatly, but now she just missed it. Kind and brave was right. Hopeful. Maybe she wouldn't be so different after all...

She imagined what it would be like for Sky to come home, after all these years. Sudden pain in her errupted as she rememberd. Their mother was dead, and Sky didn't know. Leigh stopped so suddenly, Oliver ran into her. 

"Ouch! Sorry, Leigh. Are you ok?" He asked. Leigh didn't answer, just kept walking, her mind spinning. How would she react? 

After about fifteen minutes of walking, they reached the highway. When they signalled yet another car, Leigh had a bad feeling in her gut. The car looked brand new, the sticker not even peeled off the window yet. It smelled of lemon. The man driving had squinty eyes, and the boy next to him, whom Leigh assumed was the son, looked fidgety and nervous. Six gave them a pointed look, then shook his head. 

"No thanks." Was his quick response. The man narrowed his eyes. 

"What do you mean no? You flagged us down! Beggars can't be choosers and all that." The man shrugged. Six shook his head.

"I can choose if I want to go with someone sketchy or not, yeah? Go away." He said, already turning to the next passing car. The man looked annoyed, and Leigh and the rest of the kids tittered uneasily at Six's response. 

"Look, kid. I'm giving you one last chance. Get in." He commanded. Six waved him off. 

"Oh please. I know what you want. I can see that in Thirteen's face." Six said, barley turning his head. 

Leigh could feel the tingle of power before it happened. The boy slammed Six backwards into a tree. His power was one Leigh had never seen or heard of before. It was like black oil, all lumped together in one slimy tendril, that kept Six wrapped around the tree, no matter how much he struggled. Leigh was ready to use her own power when Ash stepped in front of her. She held a knife in her hand. With determination, she started to saw through the thick oily mass. The boy writhed and screamed in pain. Oliver and Madelaine ran to Six's aid. The image froze in Leigh's mind, but only Ash stood out. Her red ponytail swinging, determination lighting all her features. 

Leigh turned to the car, the power already churning at her fingers. Green fire erupted, burning its way towards the car. It melted the tires, peeling the paint off and sizzling it like posion. The man put his hand on the boy's shoulder, and his tendrils changed direction, heading towards Leigh instead. She ducked out of the way, but barley. Her fire changed, turning into a bright white. It churned out in bursts, blasting the arms of oil apart. They fell to the ground, wrtithing like they wanted to rejoin their master. 

The boy stood up from the car, turning the tendrils a shiny white. It dragged Six and the rest of the group with them and made its way towards Leigh. She stuck out her hand, causing another green burst of fire to crawl towards the boy. It sizzled the tendrils where it struck, and the boy screamed in agony. Leigh stuck out her arms apart on either side, a different coloured fire erupting from each finger. Blue, green, orange, white and red. The kalediscope melted together, heading straight for him. His eyes widened, using his one hand to swipe in front of him, causing a wall of white tendrils to knit like bones to protect him. Leigh used her fire to make her own wall, pressing it towards and around her enemey. Her friends were let go from the arms they were caught up in. Leigh used her blue fire to lower them to the ground safley, out of the way. 

The boy used his white power to protect himself, using the black to come towards Leigh with speed and accuracy. She didn't miss a beat, using the blue fire once again to protect herself. In her anger, she thrust both her arms to the side, causing the tidal wave of rainbow fire twisting into each other. They all bore into the side of the car, where the man was still sitting. His scream was cut off as the car exploded into sizzling bits of molten nothing. Leigh rolled out of the way, striking Thirteen with yet another blast of rainbow fire. Six had gotten up, roaring as he made a whirlwind of white fire. It rolled its way towards the enemy, and this time he was hit. His Twist withered in the air, wrapping its way around Six's strike. It exploded into nothing.

Leigh screamed, sending her own tornado of fire. All the colours twisted together like northern lights. It shifted and churned, lighining forking and colours blurring and blending. A few stray black oily strings like Thirteen's had made their way in as well, but they were hers, not his. With one forwards motion with her hands, the hurricane of colour and power blasted towards Thirteen. His own Twist couldn't keep up, trying to protect himself somehow. When it hit, his scream seemed to shatter everything. However, when the dust cleared, he was still standing. Six had jumped in front of him, erupting the kalediscope hurricane into bits. 

Leigh shook, partially from rage, and partially from exhaustion. So much power took its toll. Maybe this was what Six had been talking about. 

Their powers got the best of them.

She would have to ask later. Her vision blurred, and all she could hear was a dull ringing. At some point, her body hit the asphalt. She could see a halo of different fire seeping from her body. Then everything finally went black.