Thirteen

The cell was just like an insane asylum out of a movie. The walls were white and padded, and wherever the door was, it had disappeared the minute she was thrown in. In her rage, she scratched at the padded wall, threw herself to the floor, dug her fingers into everything. At some point, she lay as an exhausted frothing mess on the ground, heat coursing up and down her body. Exhaustion pulled at he consciouness, and before she knew it, Leigh was asleep. 

Leigh. I don't have long, ok? Just listen. Your powers can't help you here. For one, there is a suppresant, so even the most powerful can't get through it. Two, you are a mimic. This means you can only use your powers if someone else has them around you. Powers won't help you, but I can. I'm going to try and contact your friends. I want you to conserve your energy, ok?  They won't feed or water you, so try to conserve all the energy you can. There is no way out, just trust me. I love you, sissy. 

Leigh woke with a start. Skylar's voice had felt raw and whispered like she had been talking quietly in Leigh's ear. It left a wierd tingle to her. 

Consereve your energy. They won't feed or water you

Leigh's stomach churned, but she stayed put. She had to put her trust in Sky. What was it that Six had said? That Skylar had an unusual gfit - Twist, whatever - she could shape it into anything she wanted. So why wouldn't she be able to contact Leigh? Leigh figured the reason she hadn't heard from her before was that she was too far away, or maybe she never really needed her, which sickened her a little. Thoughts of Madelaine came to Leigh, and the inital panic set in. Was she ok? How about Oliver and Ash? And Six? Why was Thirteen imprisoning them anyway? Leigh felt her stomach churn. If only she could talk to Skylar again...

Worry erased every other thought in her mind. What could be going on beyond those white padded walls? Her fingers dug into the ground beneath her, as silent tears of fear slid down her cheeks. If everyone was locked away like this, would they be able to escape? Could Skylar really help them? And what about Madelaine? She was hurt somewhere, and Leigh couldn't even help her. Memories of the two girls surfaced, swallowing Leigh up into darkness so vast, she wasn't sure she could ever see the end. What could she do? A clicking noise emanated from somewhere, and Leigh forced herslef up. 

There was something coming out of the wall. Leigh stood still, trying to assess if it was dangerous or not. The thing was smooth and round, a sharp point jutting out of the end. Once it was fully out of the wall, Leigh realized what it was. A needle. A metal one too. It lurched forwards as if making an awkward charge at her. She dodged it easily. It went on like this for a few minutes, before Leigh grabbed the stupid thing in her hands. It was connected to the wall with a cable. In her anger, she called to her powers - which weren't there. Right, she could only mimic other powers. That was a little inconvenient.

Madelaine's beautiful face drifted to her mind. Then the god-awful image of her laying on the side of the road, blood soaking everything. Anger rippled through Leigh, making her feel stronger. Taking the metal needle, she cracked the cable in half with ease. Then she followed it towards the wall, hoping to find a source. Sure enough, there was a small round hole hidden in all the white padding that stretched out in front of her. She pulled the rest of the cable out, ripping away at the wall. It started to wane a little, before crumbling off in little bits. She stuck her finger in the hole, with no result. Great. Now what? 

A stabbing pain hit her shoulder. 

Turning around, she realized another needle had emerged from the wall behind her. Then another, and another, until she is covered in the stupid things. Roaring like a bear, Leigh ripped them out of her soft skin, casting them spasming to the floor. Her vision was already swimming. What was it? Poison? Drugs? Anger and terror teased its way up and down her spine. Madelaine's face came up again, smiling at Leigh. All of the memories from beforehand and more seem to swim to her mind, drifting in and out lazily, like boats on a harbour. She fell to her knees, then on her face. Her only hope was that Sky had come through, but even then, she wasn't sure that could help them. 

"Come on, Leigh!" Come's Madelaine's excited voice as she dragged Leigh across the forest glade. Leigh was grinning, already knowing where they are headed. 

The little stream trickled gently, creating a lulling sound. It is peaceful here. The two girls pick up their homemade swords of wood and start to play. They play for hours until both are tired and they sit down inside their homemade fort, discussing books and school and Madelaine making Leigh laugh until it felt like her sides might burst. They ate their snack, and eventually drifted off to sleep. Everything they needed for that night was there, but Leigh felt fear. So much fear, it felt as if it were chocking her. 

"Madelaine?" Asked her voice, high and scared.

"Yeah?" Came her response. She sounded just as terrified. 

"I'm scared." Leigh's weak squeak. 

"Me too. But you know what? I know we'll be ok because we're together. As long as we're never seperated, I know you and I will be ok."

And Leigh felt re-assured. Madelaine always knew the right thing to say.  

A gust of wind, and it's gone. 

"Hiya, Leigh!" Oliver's excited voice bounces off the concrete hallway. 

Luckily he is taller than everyone else, so she can see him clearly over all the nameless faces that make up the student body. She wonders how he sees her. She is so small. If his tall dark head soars over all the students, can he pick her out like that? Leigh isn't sure, but she likes it. It makes her feel seen, not just by Madelaine, but by someone else, too. It's a good feeling, knowing someone willingly and joyfully calls your name over everyone, even if they stare. The pair waltz out of the school together, making their way towards the bakery.  

A heartbeat, and it's gone.

Ash's beautiful face lights up a dark tunnel. Leigh feels her heart spurt for a moment, though at first, she isn't sure why. The only people she has ever liked in that way, is the popular boy, Eric, and her very best friend Madelaine, though she is sure that both were adolescent crushes that faded over time. 

"Are you ok, Leigh?" Comes Ash's gentle voice. Always concerned, always asking. 

Leigh doesn't answer. This isn't real, so why is she here? 

"Whatever it is, I can make it better." She suggests, placing both of her hands on either side of Leigh's cheeks.

Leigh burns bright and red, but this isn't real, so it doesn't matter anyway. Here, in this dream state, she can be whoever and whatever she wants to. 

"I know you can, and you will. You always do." Leigh replies, placing her own hands over Ash's. 

Somehow, they both know what comes next. They lean into each other, their lips pressing together in a soft, beautiful kiss. Then everything explodes into a supernova.

A blink, and it's gone.