Twenty-seven

Leigh turned in shock, and there stood Skylar. She looked older, of course. Her beautiful blonde curls were shorn away, like all the kids. Her eyes were the same beautiful blue shot with violet. 

"Skylar!" Leigh screamed, running towards her little sister. 

They collided, tears spilling out. 

"Sissy! Sissy! I knew you would come!" Skylar was jumping up and down, and Leigh squeezed her so tight it almost hurt. Almost. 

"I wish it could have been sooner. Oh my god. Oh my god," Leigh whispered, clutching Skylar tightly. 

"Leigh!" Screamed a panicked voice. 

Leigh turned, just in time to see a white snake coming down on Ash. Before she could do anything, Ten teleported herself in front of her, the snake hitting her right in the chest. 

"No!" Screamed Leigh, running towards her. 

It was too late. Ten coughed once, twice, and then she was gone. Leigh bent her head over the poor girl's body. 

Screaming, she released another burst of gold power, hitting the several guards in the chest just as Ten had been, only with golden arrows instead of white snakes. Sky put her hand on Leigh's shoulder, her expression pinched into sadness. She put her arms around Leigh. They held each other tight. Leigh was never letting her go again. Then her head snapped up. 

"We need to continue the plan," she said. It was critical to get all the kids out, even if it meant leaving Ten behind. 

Ash pulled Leigh up, her eyes widening when she saw Skylar. She looked at Leigh in confirmation, and she nodded. Ash didn't say a word, just herded the first group of kids out. The big group collected the first wave of kids, packing them away in the trucks they had stolen from a trucking company. Leigh pulled Skylar along with the other kids. 

"Ok, climb inside. We're taking you somewhere safe," she said, giving her a hug. 

"No." Came her response. 

"No? What do you mean no? Don't you want to leave?" Asked Leigh, confused. 

"No. I want to fight." Her little hands were balled into fists. Leigh pursed her lips. 

"Absolutely not. I don't want to you lose you again." She tried to push Sky into the truck, but she refused. 

"I said no. Come on, you need my power. Trust me." Her words were all choppy and awkward like she wasn't used to speaking. 

"Fine," Leigh agreed. There was no way she could get Sky into that truck. 

"Take it away!" She yelled at the driver. She nodded, starting the engine and kicking up a cloud of dust as she left them behind, taking the last of the kids with them. 

Leigh took Skylar's hand, squeezing it tight. 

"Happy twelfth birthday," she whispered. Skylar's eyes widened, and she grinned. 

"Best. Present. Ever." 

Then they charged into the fight. 

Sky was right. They did need her power. The assault and big group were fighting a losing battle, bodies littered the ground, like cups after a party. Skylar's Twist was unmatched. The same gold that had come out of Leigh just a mere half hour ago now came out of her sister, only tenfold. She wondered how a body so small could harbour such power. The gold came in many different forms, and Leigh could only describe it as power. Simply pure power. She could shape it into anything she wanted, an arrow, a knife, a blast. And everything it touched exploded. Leigh fought alongside her, hitting anyone who even tried to come close to them.