Chapter Two.

I just want to take a moment to thank those of you that have read, followed, commented, and have even added me to your reading list. I really appreciate at it. I also want to give a special shoutout to TrainsArePretty for being my go to gal and helping me make this chapter perfect. Once, I'm able to access a computer a proper dedication will take place. Now, onwards to the chapter.

" But why?"

Asher stared at her a moment, slipping his hands into the front pockets of his jeans to warm them from the harsh winter air. He was well aware this was strange for Emmalee, that she was having a hard time trusting their good intentions. Hell, he didn't blame her with the amount of crazy in the world and if the last ten minute he had just witnessed didn't speak volumes of how she was generally treated in everyday life he wasn't sure what would. "It's late. " He said simply after a moment.

"And New York City isn't the safest place, especially not at this hour." Declan added, a genuine smile forming upon his perfect features. It wasn't their intention to frighten her, they just wanted to do the right thing. If by chance they got to know her in the long run, well, that would be a pleasant bonus.

They stood in silence a moment, staring at each other. Emmalee finally let out a soft sigh. "You know, I lived here all my life I can defend myself , and I really don't live far anyway. Thank you though."

Asher sighed, turning his head to look at Declan who shook his head. They couldn't very well force her to allow them to take her home. Again, he reminded himself they were strangers and their intention were questionable.

"Look, there they are!" A voice yelled out followed by a series of flashing lights.

Declan cursed under his breath as he noticed Asher tense beside him. Reaching out he grabbed ahold of his partner's upper arm before closing the space between them and Emmalee. "Unfortunately, we've taken a vote and your decision has been denied."He whispered roughly, as he turned her around and ushered her forward with a hand on the small of her back. "Which way to yours, love?"

Emmalee felt a moment of panic at the sudden movement. What exactly was going on here? Her foot steps fell heavy on the side walk as she was practically pushed forward.

"Declan, Asher, who is the girl?" A difference voice yelled out. "Is she a new romantic conquest?"

What? Emmalee risked a glance over her shoulder to see who, exactly, was behind them only to be blinded by more flashing. Declan steadied her as she began to stumble over her own feet.

"No, love, don't look back. Just keep walking and ignore them best you can."

Blinking, she glared up at the man who just spoke. Who was he to tell her what to do, especially since she hadn't a damn clue what the hell was going on. Who were these people? Better yet what did they want with these two men?

"Is she a groupie?" More flashing lights from various cameras lit up the night sky.

"Asher, is she the reason your marriage with Corrine fell apart?"

Asher pulled away from Declan's grasp and turned, heading towards the group asking the intrusive questions. "Fuck you!" He yelled, stumbling as flashes erupted from all around him, blinding him. "You don't know me or my life!"

Emmalee gasped at his words but kept moving forward.

"Keep moving, don't look back."

Declan's hand left the small of her back. "Asher," She heard him speak softly. "They aren't worth it."

Asher turned to look at his partner, anger in his eyes. "No, they don't know a damn thing!"

Declan took a hold of his arm. "I know, but this isn't the time or place." He lightly pulled his friend forward. They stood silently a moment, ignoring the never ending question and flashing camera lights. Turning, Asher flicked them off and let Declan lead him back towards Emmalee.