o n e

change was one of my least favourite things, and that was because i was scared of it, even if it was done for the better. i never liked change, and that's probably because i grew up in susquehanna, pennsylvania. a place so small, nothing ever changed. everyone followed the same rules, women looked the same, men looked the same, both genders had the same hairstyle, everyone wore the same types of clothes, the houses looked the same, no one was unique, and i hated that. there was always a part of me that wanted change, even though i was scared of it.

everything was the same until about 2 months ago, when my dad got a new job, in california. a very long way away from pennsylvania. a completely different world. different weather, different fashion. people there were unique. although i was scared, i was pretty excited. this was my one and only chance to change into a completely new person. i didn't want to enter california as the same girl that i was susquehanna. i didn't want to be plain old lauren. i wanted to be new lauren. the better lauren, and i didn't even know that lauren.

aside from all that, i was now living in a 5 bedroom house with my parents and two brothers. having brothers helped me a lot growing up in susquehanna. susquehanna was small, old fashioned, and with two older brothers at my side, it taught me not to take things too seriously, whether that came to sexist comments or cat calling.

our house was on a pretty big road, with loads of houses and palm trees. a classic american road. we had a big back yard with a pool and a few tanning beds, as well as a small pond with fish. it was a quite big house.

the houses on the road were pretty close to each other, even though they were so big. the houses in susquehanna were small and crowded, usually home to a family of 4 or 5. here they spacious.

moving here also made us consider buying a dog. and we decided to get a german shepherd. we decided to name him jack.

my room was one of the biggest (thankfully). my mum had given my brothers smaller rooms because they were going to move out in around 1/2 years anyways for college. my room had a huge window that came from the floor all the way up to the ceiling that was facing our neighbours house. from what i could see, my room was facing a room. the walls were black and the room was aesthetic. edgy type aesthetic. i guessed they had a son. my room was still yet to be designed so i was planning to make mine aesthetic as well. there was so much space to work with.

the house was mostly done except from my room. my walls were painted white, my curtains were put in, and i also had a bed, but there was no nice furniture.

although i'd lived in my house for about 2 weeks now, i never really saw much of who lived in that room, although i knew it was a boy. his blinds were either always shut, he wasn't they're, or his back was facing the window. i often saw him skateboarding in his garden our out on the road. he wore eboy clothes, and i liked that a lot. we had never made eye contact, but i always felt like he knew i was looking at him.

i was sitting on the floor, browsing different aesthetic room decorations, when my mum came into my room.

"lauren, how are you?" she said.

"im doing good." i replied. "i'm browsing different room ideas because i really wanna have an actual room by now."

"i'm good, and okay, take your time to find your dream room." she smiled. "also, our neighbours invited us over for dinner at 6 today."

i looked at my window. "them?"

she nodded. "they apparently have a son your age, he's going to the same high school you are as well. you two could get to know each other."

i smiled. "yeah." i was right, they had a son.

she smiled and left my room. hm, i thought. let's see how tonight goes.