one.

Being a light sleeper had its advantages and disadvantages. Was it annoying that she woke up at every small sound and couldn't really sink into a nice peaceful sleep? Yes. But being a light sleeper also helped her hear when her father came home, usually around three or four in the morning. She could hear his drunken footsteps and the sound of him knocking over the table with the bowl where all the keys went resting on it. She could hear the glass break and then him heading towards the stairs and she knew that it was time for her to make her getaway.

Demi Lovato pushed her covers away from her body and tip toed over to her door. She locked it and then put a pillow on her bed where her body should be and threw the covers over that. She slipped her Ugg boots on before opening her window and stealthily climbing out. She didn't shut it behind her so that she could get back in when it was time to get ready for school in the morning.

The grass was wet and stained her chestnut boots as she ran over to Trey's window. She knocked three times, because it was an emergency, and he immediately opened the window and helped her up. They were both silent as they fell into the familiar routine. Trey scooted over to the far left side of the bed and Demi took the far right after grabbing an extra blanket because Trey was a blanket hog. She kicked her boots off and took her glasses off of her face before slipping into the bed and getting herself comfortable.

"He came later tonight," Trey noted in his groggy sleeping voice. Demi nodded and turned on her side so that she was facing him.

"If I would've stayed, I wouldn't be able to go to school in the morning," she got a bit choked up at the end because it disgusted her to think about it. She hated not being able to sleep in her own bed, her own house, because the man that was supposed to protect her had a perverted mind. She had tried to tell her mom when she was younger but she didn't believe her and Demi knew why. If she kicked Patrick out, they'd have nothing, because her mom was too good to get a job. The obvious solution had been to just sneak out when he was in one of his moods and sleep in Trey's room.

"It's okay Demi. You know that I'll always protect you," he lazily threw one of his arms around her and she snuggled in closer to his chest. This had been their routine since they were six years old. His mom had even suggested getting a bunk bed for Trey or giving the guest room to Demi but they both assured her that nothing would happen because they were just friends, and they would never like each other like that.

"Thank you," she reached up and pecked his lips, and he stroked her hair when she pulled away. Everyone else found it weird that Demi would casually kiss him on the lips or Trey would sometimes smack her butt and grope her but they didn't. They had always acted like that around each other. Neither of them were dating anyone so they didn't see a problem with it.

"No worries. I got you. Now go to sleep," she chuckled and pulled the covers up to her chin, allowing her best friend's steady heart beat to lure her to sleep.

Trey awoke to Demi stuffing her boots on while sitting on the edge of the bed. The sun was up and he thanked God that his parents had enough money to put him into a private school because school didn't start until 8:30, so he had plenty of time to get ready.

"You don't wanna get ready here?" Demi kept spare clothes there but she really had to go back to her house today.

"We have a game today and my uniform is at my house. But I'll be back for breakfast," Trey groaned at the realization. He did not feel like playing today.

"Oh shut up Tremaine," she teased, crawling over to him and hovering over his half naked body.

"You know you'll win," her hair was falling over her face so she tucked it behind her ear and leaned down to peck his lips.