Chapter 13: Beneath the Mask

(Thank you KipperWrites for your help in feedback! It's greatly appreciated!)

Pet, pat, pet, pat--splash!

"God Damnit!" Elias shielded his face from the water flying up as Sunshine continued to jump. He narrowed his eyes. "Really?"

"What?" He pranced, sticking out his tongue. "We're already wet."

Elias looked around at the empty street; he noticed the rain had almost passed leaving behind the light sprinkles. He was thankful they suffered the bulk of the storm in the car. Now that the rain had dissipated, the cold started to settle on his skin. His gaze returned to the short boy who was doing an awkward pose.

"That doesn't mean-"

"I'm Aquaman!" He shouted, and Elias paused from his statement and took that as his que to leave. Continuing on his way, he could hear Sunshine call his name repeatedly, growing more and more disappointed each time he didn't answer. Sunshine gave up, running up beside him, fixing his crooked beanie.

"So, Clayton isn't La marr...erm La mer...La-"

"La Mort Noire." Elias assisted, shoving his hands in his pockets.

"Yeah, that." He skipped beside him.

"No." Elias shook his head. "He's not our guy."

Sunshine nodded silently, reverting back to a steady walk. Silence swept between them; their steps being the only sound around. Elias could tell the moment of silence bothered him as he kept looking back and forth between Elias and the ground, being sure to splash into every puddle they came across. After a while of this, Sunshine finally spoke.

"I could have driven us here." He gave Elias a look, making him smirk.

"We're never doing that again."

"We would be there." Sunshine sang the last part.

"We would be dead." Elias rose his brows at him and Sunshine smiled, returning his eyes forward. They had just gotten to the alley. "Besides, we're here."

"Still." He replied smugly.

"Don't touch me!"

They both stopped at the loud voice coming from the shop followed by a loud crash.

"Why are you throwing stuff?!"

"Rocco, calm down-"

"Don't!" There was shuffling. "You people are useless!"

"We couldn't have done anything anyway. You need to relax before you hurt someone!" Elias and Sunshine recognized Porter's voice, procceeding to enter the scene quietly, but it didn't matter. They were spotted in seconds. Everyone was standing, surrounded around Porter, who was clutching Rocco's arm; they all stared at the two tardy boys. A few seconds passed before everyone's eyes snapped to Rocco as the low growl left his lips. "Let. Go."

"Are you done?" Porter gave him a look, surprised at his own boldness. Rocco forcefully shoved into him, yanking his arm away and Porter was reminded of his weak stature as he stumbled back, along with the girls; all staring at him in shock.

"Ugh. So annoying." Harley rolled her eyes, making everyone turn to her.

"What did you say?" Rocco scowled.

"An-noy-ing." Harley leaned forward with her arms crossed. "Hard of hearing?" She shrugged at Beverly's wide eyes. "What?"

"Harley." Bausy sighed. "Not the time."