Chapter 23: Numb

Tuesday...
3:38pm...

"He did what?" Cush's baffled look made Elias sigh, resting his head on the stirring wheel. He'd already relived the nightmare, and the idea of reiterating it made him cringe.

"I'd rather not repeat it."

"Are you sure you saw what you saw?" Sunshine leaned forward from the backseat in between the two.

"I'm sure." Elias replied quickly.

"This isn't the partnership we were expecting. Did you tell the others?" Cush watched as Elias pulled out his phone.

"I texted Porter and Rocco the basics. I asked if they could keep an eye on Jade today while we go back, but Porter's busy with his family after school."

"What do you mean go back?" Cush rose a brow. "Go back where?" Elias watched his dark eyes before quickly adding as if it should have been obvious,

"The trailer."

"The trailer?" Sunshine asked. "Why go back?"

"We just noticed the writing on the back of the pictures--there's no telling what else we might've missed."

"Oh like a trap door!" Sunshine nodded swaying, making the parked car do the same. "Or a back room!"

"Or something less obvious." Elias shrugged. "He's sleeping with Paul's wife. We're missing something. I know it. It just doesn't make sense."

"Well, you know I'm with you Elias. If you go, I go." Sunshine continued to sway.

"I have therapy today." Cush said dull.

"Therapy...?" Sunshine's brows slowly furrowed. "When did you..." his voice dissipated as he thought to himself.

"Tuesday and Thursday are dedicated days. I can't miss anymore sessions or they'll cancel my-" he stopped abruptly; a grin slowly spreading on his face. "I'm in." His smirk began to fade as he noticed his body rocking within the car, slowly looking back to Sunshine. "Do you mind?"

"Oh, sorry." He smiled innocently.

Once Sunshine had stopped, Elias began thinking out loud. "Alene could still be alive. There's no time to waste."

"Should we call Rocco then?" Sunshine asked. "Don't we need someone on the outside like last time?"

"He doesn't have a car." Eli shook his head. "And with Porter being busy today, I wouldn't even feel right having him out alone. Especially not on foot. We'll go solo. We've studied him long enough to know his patterns. He won't be home for another six hours. We'll be fine."

"I hope you're right. Dying wasn't exactly on my to-do list." Cush gave him a look. "At least not yet anyway."

"Mine either--you...you really shouldn't write that down though." Sunshine said slow and the corners of Cush's mouth lifted slightly in amusement.

"Don't worry." Elias looked between them both. "We'll be in and out."

~*~

The orange and peach blend of color stretched along the horizon, bringing in a warm glowing tint against the trees. The leaves rustled from the gentle breeze passing by, causing Elias to stuff his hands in his jacket pockets.
The walk was very costumary other than the fact that they had been walking for longer than usual; continually hearing the soft crunch of foliage against the damp dirt, with the occasional, crisp snap of twigs beneath their feet. They had been on a slight detour.