Chapter 28: Déjà vu

Paranoia is interesting, isn't it? It's an extremely powerful feeling. Dangerous if felt extensively, but intentionally protective in it's own right. It had a bad reputation. Usually looked down upon and those who feel it's effects are scolded to no end. Though, paranoia has also proven to be heroic in some cases. Yet, the line where it's good turned to bad was exceptionally thin, and that was the part that brought Elias the most dread. How does one know when they should or shouldn't allow the feeling of paranoia? Was he overreacting or was he rightfully horrified at the faces before him...?

The lunch room was bustling with chatter as always, yet Eli's table was unusually quiet. Porter and Harley had been sitting in their normal seats with Elias on the other side; neither one of them glancing at another longer than a few seconds before looking down to their trays. That is, until Porter finally broke the silence slightly agitated,

"Aren't we going to talk about it?"

Both their eyes snapped to him.

"Talk about what?" Harley furrowed her brows, slowly chewing the rest of her food.

"Bausy and Charles--"

"No. It's way too early for that." She interrupted. Porter gave a defeated look down to his fork, about to stab his mushy meatball before he decided to slam the plastic utensil down onto the table.

"No actually, I think it's the perfect time for it."

"Porter, seriously."

"I am serious." He looked over to Elias. "Don't you have questions too? I mean if it really is Charles then--"

"It's not Charles." Harley harshly stabbed her meatball. "And you all are idiots if you think this is over."

"I knew it wasn't just me." Porter almost smiled. "Something didn't feel right. Don't you think so too, Elias?"

Eli paused at the sight of his brown eyes on him. It felt so strange...almost as if he were testing him. They lingered--why did they linger? Or was that just Eli overthinking his stare? It was a genuine look...wasn't it? He rose his brows, urging Elias to speak.

"I-"

"We shouldn't be talking about this, and Elias knows it." Harley said, bringing their voices to a whisper.

"Of course we should. If we all believe that there's something we're missing then--"

"Then that's exactly why we should keep our mouths shut. For Bausy. If you cared about her at all you would."

"I love her." Porter snapped, causing the other two to pause. "She's the strongest girl I know, and I know if the tables were turned and she knew she could help one of us she wouldn't hesitate."

"You're right, she is strong." Harley gave him a look. "She isn't some damsel in distress in desperate need of your help. For God's sake, haven't we done enough? The last thing we need to do is draw attention to ourselves and end up dead or broken in a hospital like Bausy and Sunshine."

A pang of angst struck Elias at the mention of his name.

"How can you say that? Aren't you her bestfriend?" Porter narrowed his eyes.

"That's exactly why I can say it. I know she'd want us to stay safe just like her father." Her eyes drifted to Elias. "I'm sure Sunshine would feel the same way. They're good like that."

"They're strong like that." Porter added. "Think about it, the only reason what happened happened that night is because they had the balls to be there."

"And clearly it was a mistake." Harley glared at him.

"Maybe it wasn't." Porter snatched off his glasses, rubbing the irritation from his eyes. "Maybe that's why they were attacked--" he stopped suddenly, sighing as he slouched. "I wish I was there."