ii. let this be a dream

The sound of people rushing back and forth across the waiting area of the emergency room fell onto Sean's deaf ears as he sat emotionless on the uncomfortable chair.

He stared at the ground, the thought of losing the woman he was sure was his soulmate filling his mind. This couldn't be real. Someone please tell him that this was just a crazy, messed up dream. A nightmare really.

When he heard her name fall from his boss's lips, he didn't know what to do. He immediately broke into sobs, dropping from his seat on the barstool and sat under the counter, leaning against it as sobs wracked through his chest.

His two friends had no idea what to do. They watched as he punched on the concrete floor, praying to whoever was up there to take him instead of Kaycee. Begging to let this all be a dream, for this to be just another nightmare and he'll wake up to Kaycee in his arms.

But he knew it was real. It had to be real otherwise he wouldn't feel the bruises forming on his knuckles as he punched the ground, he knew it was real when he heard his best friends sob along with him.

Josh and Julian didn't know how to comfort him. Hell, they themselves needed to be consoled. They just heard that one of their best friends and overall favorite people got shot. Kaycee Rice had become another statistic, another victim of gun violence. And now they were left to grieve as they watched their best friend breakdown at the news of losing his soulmate, his person.

Josh leaned onto the counter as Julian made his way around the bar, trying to stop their friend from physically hurting himself as he was already emotionally scarred. Resting his head on the table, Josh lifted his tear stained face when he heard distant shouting. Looking around, he noticed Sean's phone lying facedown on the counter, his boss still on the phone yelling for his attention.

"Hello," Josh answered, tears still racing down his soaked cheeks.

"Hello, I need you to bring Sean Lew to Cedars-Sinai Medical Center on the corner of Beverley Boulevard and Allen Drive. Tell him Ms. Rice is not dead, but she is severely injured. Victims are being loaded into the ambulances and we're trying to inform as many emergency contacts. Let Sean know she's alive. We'll see you there."

"Guys! Sean, she's alive, she's serverly hurt but she's alive and they're already on their way to get medical help. Come on guys we have to go now!" Josh exclaimed, pulling Sean up from the floor. The trio ran to the car with Josh in the driver's seat as Julian sat in the back with Sean trying to console him still.

And here he was now, sat in the waiting room praying that whoever it was that gave Kaycee this second chance will pull through and let her survive her wounds. She was lucky to even be alive right now, having suffered from a bullet to her stomach, she had to be lucky that it managed to avoid doing serious damage on her organs.

The doctors were able to remove the bullet and clean out any of the residue that came along with it, but now their main concern was the injury her head had sustained. She was shot on the side of the street, her body immediately reacted by falling onto her side, her head unfortunately meeting the concrete edge of the sidewalk.

From the last update, Sean was told that her chances of survival were high, a surprise to the doctors. But the issue was that even with her survival rate so high, there were no promises that she didn't endure serious cranial damage from her fall.

"Sean?" the frozen man heard, breaking him out of his trance. He looked up only to find the bloodshot eyes of none other than Kylie Rice.

He stared back at her, his eyes filled with just as much pain and sorrow as hers before he felt her collide into his chest. Sean bit back his sobs, knowing that the girl needed comfort not another burden.