v. what if

thank you all for 1k reads on this book, just the thought of this many people being interested in my book makes me all giddy inside so thanks again 🥺💓
this one's back in sean's pov, hope you all enjoy <3
——

Sean was hopeful to say the least. After reading the text in the "family" group chat, he threw the covers off of his sweatsuit-clad body. Wanting to get to the Rice's residence as soon as he could, he hurriedly slipped on his infamous pair of adidas slides that sat conveniently by his bedroom door and nearly tripped down the stairs due to the rapid pace he was going at. He almost forgot to grab his shoeboxes full of memories the two had during college all the way to the end of their relationship.

The front door to his apartment slammed shut almost as quickly as it was pulled open before he all but walked to the parking garage. Jumping into his car, he carefully set the boxes down on the passenger seat and immediately reversed out of his parking spot and headed toward his destination.

Directions were surely not needed; he new the place like the back of his hand. He basically lived in the Rice residence once him and Kaycee started dating, and frequented the house even more so when the two graduated college and began getting more serious.

Flashbacks of the two baking cookies at three in the morning and all the time they would spend pranking both of the older Rice kids filled his mind.

It hurt knowing that Kaycee doesn't remember all the little things that he does, it hurt even more knowing that she may never remember any of it.

He wasn't ready to give up hope just yet, but he also wasn't willing to get his hopes up either.

So many different things could come about from their current situation. What if Kaycee manages to regain her memory? Will they get back together like the last two years apart never happened? Or will they have to find their way back together still? Will they have to restart completely despite their love never faltering?

The sad part was that those scenarios weren't even the worse Sean could think of.

What if the "new" Kaycee doesn't fall in love with him like the "old" Kaycee did? What if Kaycee regains her memory but still doesn't want to give Sean another chance? And the ultimate worst of the worst— what if Kaycee falls in love with someone else?

He knew better than to think of things especially before even visiting the girl and seeing her progress thus far, but he couldn't help but worry about how this whole thing could only break him even more down the road.

He doesn't know if he could handle another heartbreak, and most definitely not one from Kaycee Rice.

She was his soulmate that he was sure of. Even if she doesn't choose him after all of this, he will always choose her. She was the only thing he was certain of.

Sean was too busy juggling the different possibilities that he didn't realize he was already parked outside of the Rice household, his muscle memory leading the way.

He gave himself a quick pep talk in his mirror before climbing out of his car and jogging up the driveway, the shoeboxes in his hands. His palms tingled as he knocked on the door and pushed the doorbell, he was ready to see her yet totally unprepared at the same time.

Looking down at his outfit, he cursed himself for wearing a pair of fitted sweats and a black hoodie to see the love of his for the first time since her accident. His mouth shut immediately when he heard their door being pulled open.

Out popped Devon's head as he smiled in relief to see the man his little sister had been asking to see for the past two hours.

"Sean! I'm so glad you were able to come on such short notice and at so late in the evening," he greeted as he let the younger one step into his childhood home.