vi. how we met

sorry for the delay on this chapter. the italics indicate flashbacks! hope you all enjoy <3
——

"Kaycee. I know there's so much you want to know, so much you deserve to know, but I don't think me staying here is a good idea."

"But why not," the girl said on the verge of tears, she thought Sean was different, that he wouldn't treat her like she was fragile. "I want to remember and I want to understand where my life is meant to be at this point, but how am I supposed to do that without understanding our relationship? According to everyone else, you were the main person in my life for years. Please help me, Sean. Help me remember."

He couldn't take it. The tears in her eyes as she begged him to stay, to help her remember the things only he would know now. He didn't want to, he really didn't want to.

But he gave in.

"I-Okay, I'll stay. But only for a few hours, I ha-" his words cut off by the sudden force meeting his chest, Kaycee's head resting against his shoulder as her arms wound tightly around his torso.

"Thank you! Thank you! Thank you," she cried out hugging her ex tighter, not carrying if she overstepped any of their newfound, unspoken boundaries.

After the two pulled away, Kaycee patted the spot beside her on her bed causing Sean to kick of his slides and crawl up next to her. Being next to Kaycee in bed felt extremely weird. He wasn't uncomfortable per say, but being this close to her in such an intimate setting, one that they used to be intimate in made him feel strange.

The two now sat comfortably side by side, well as comfortable as two exes where one of them was suffering from memory loss could get. Kaycee's thick comforter draped over both pairs of legs after she insisted that Sean make himself at home.

Funny hearing that come from the girl he once thought of as home.

"So, where should I start?"

"Hmm," she said rubbing her chin, genuinely unsure of where she wanted him to begin, "how about we do what's easier? How did we first meet?"

"Wow, a classic story honestly. Our first meeting story one of those sickeningly sweet and cliché ones, the type they write movies about," Sean said acting like he was disgusted as he reminisced, his faux gags and scoffs making the girl beside him giggle.

Hearing the light laughter he'd grown to love and memorize made the situation feel oh so bittersweet. Being able to hear the laugh and knowing that he was lucky to still have Kaycee alive and well was the most important thing to him, he just wished their reunion didn't have to be for this. He always hoped that one day they'd find their way back together, in a natural and mutual agreement that it was finally their time for their love to flourish, but he never thought it would be like this.

Clearing his throat, he turned to the waiting girl who had been sitting patiently as he worked on getting their story as accurate as possible.

"So for starters, Jules and Josh love claiming that they set us up, but that's totally not it. We let them have it because we knew they'd never let us live down the fact that we had been secretly seeing each other," he laughed thinking about all the times they'd have to sneak around their nosey friends.

"As I'm sure you already know," he began again, "I've known them two forever, like I'm talking known each other since diapers forever. But you three actually didn't meet until they locked themselves out of our apartment while I was at work and they went to yours, Tahani's, and Bailey's place," Kaycee shook her head, she may not remember much about the two boys anymore but that definitely sounded like them based off what she learned these past two days.