ix. the last match

hi. please don't hate me for this lol <333
——
Several months had passed and Sean felt as if his relationship with Kaycee had only dwindled down to worse than where it stood before her accident.

While they still kept in touch and the Rice's made sure he was constantly in the loop of all things Kaycee, the actual progression of his and Kaycee's relationship had gone stagnant.

Unlike their past hangouts, the attempts at regaining her memory and reminiscing on their happier times only seemed to make the two grow apart a little bit more each passing day.

Sean wasn't sure if Kaycee's reasoning for being hesitant matched those of his own, but he just felt like it was all forced.

Every memory and meet up felt so fake. So inorganic and saccharine.

He never brought up the real downsides of their relationship which made it sound like they were once such a picture perfect couple, but he also knew that throwing in the real bummers would only make their time together that much more awkward.

The last thing he wanted was to drive the girl away, even though he already feels her slowly slipping from his fingertips.

He was scared. His friends didn't need to confront him about it, they saw it with their own eyes. Something that they didn't think would ever happen, something that they prayed would never happen.

Sean was losing faith. He was giving up.

They saw the pain in his eyes when Kaycee would flinch at his touch. They noticed the way his smile no longer stretched from ear to ear when he saw her. They heard the sighs that would slip from his slightly parted lips each time he caught his hands involuntarily inching closer toward Kaycee's.

He was growing tired, and no one could blame him. No one could begin to comprehend the amount of pain and heartbreak the boy had been suffering for the past few months.

As much as they wished that he would sit and patiently wait for the love of his life to become the person they all remembered, they knew that it was unfair.

They couldn't expect Sean to sacrifice his own happiness and mental well-being, though that's what he had been doing for months.

Suffering in silence watching as the girl he once promised forever to shared laughs and smiles with everyone but him.

They knew that it was bound to happen.

Based upon her lack of improvement regarding her memory, their friends knew that they couldn't hope that everything would click back into place anymore.

That hopeful thinking was long gone as their friend still struggled remembering their most cherished memories.

It hurt them whenever Kaycee's smile would falter during their sentimental sessions. They way her eyes didn't glow the way they used to whenever the six of them found the time to hang out.

No one even remembers the last time they saw that small dimple form just beneath her eyes.

The heavy feeling they would get in their chest during these little moments was enough to ruin their whole day, so they didn't even want to imagine the way Sean's heart must've cracked each time.

The four other friends knew that they could no longer
hope for the best. No amount of hope could save the relationship they saw burst at the seams.

It wasn't healthy to expect the two of them to be ready for love so quickly.

They couldn't expect them to jump right into their relationship, especially after the trauma they've both faced in the last few months.

But the scariest part of it was that they weren't sure if they would ever be ready.

Would Kaycee ever be able to learn to become the person they all knew and loved before? Would they be ready to dive into love again? Or was their love just never meant to last?

Were they star-crossed lovers?

Their love was undeniable, but was their love for each other enough to jump over soaring obstacles?

At this point, Sean didn't know what the beating in his chest meant anymore.

Was it the race of his heart at the sight of his ex girlfriend or was his heart a ticking time bomb waiting for Kaycee to pull the last straw — to light the last match that would ignite into flames causing him to explode.

He didn't want it to happen, no one did. But they all had the same feeling in their gut that they day would come eventually.

Something would occur, something so catastrophic that Sean would feel deep down into his soul that he had truly lost the battle. Something that revealed the unfortunate truth that maybe, in this lifetime, Kaycee wasn't meant to be his.

They just didn't know that something would happen so soon.

——
like most of you guys i'm sure, my school moved online for the remainder of this semester due to covid-19 so that means i should have a little more free time to write and hopefully be more active on here again! let me know what you guys think and if you have any guesses of what Kaycee might do i'd love to hear! thank you for reading and i hope you enjoyed <3