iii. promised

His sheets ruffled as he tossed and turned in his empty bed. Getting sleep at night had become harder and harder for Sean, ever since Kaycee left. Things were had gotten better as time passed, but no night's worth of sleep has ever made him feel as well rested as he did when he slept with her in his arms.

It's been two days since the accident that almost cost his soulmate's life. Two whole days since he learned that Kaycee didn't remember him.

"Kaycee," he chuckled, searching her eyes for any sign that she was pulling his leg, that his Kaycee was still there. "I know it's been a while, but you know who I am Kayc, it's me, Sean?"

"I'm so sorry officer— I mean Sean, I really don't know who you are? Were you the one who saved me? If that's the case then thank you so much," she said with a sweet smile, her oblivious expression telling Sean everything he needed to know.

Sean swallowed back the fresh tears trying to leave his eyes. He opened his mouth but he was unable to formulate a coherent sentence. Pointing back at the door he just entered from, he rambled out "I-I'm just going to go call your doctor," leaving the patient alone in her hospital room, confusion growing on her face.

He ran out, back to the waiting room making the four others jump.

"Sean? Sean, what's wrong? You're hyperventilating, I need you to sit down and breathe for me okay," he could hear Devon speak as he began to feel lightheaded.

"She," he croaked out, "she doesn't remember me. The girl I love has no idea who I am."

Josh and Julian ran to his sides trying to comfort the already broken man. He'd just receive news that his past lover was alive and recovering, only to discover that she had no idea who he was.

Devon told the two that he was going to call his youngest sister's doctor, meanwhile Kylie went to go check on Kaycee.

Amnesia. Kaycee had amnesia.

According to her doctor, when she fell after being shot, she had landed on her side. Her body didn't suffer too much damage besides the gunshot wound, but her head was different story. When her body landed, the concrete met her temporal lobe resulting in damage to her hippocampus.

Kaycee wasn't at a complete loss of memory, still easily recognizing Kylie and Devon and her parents who arrived late that evening. She also remembered Bailey and Tahani her childhood best friends that she spent nearly her entire life with. But after testing her memory, it seems like everything she once knew beyond her senior year of high school was long gone.

She forgot all about moving into the dorms at UCLA, she didn't remember meeting Josh and Julian during freshman orientation, nor did she remember spending the next two years being mutually infatuated with the remaining member of their trio or the following five years that she spent in relationship with Sean.

She didn't remember them living together. She didn't remember him proposing. She certainly didn't remember leaving him. She didn't even remember him.

Kaycee's parents, Laura and Brad, has always loved Sean. They never blamed him for their relationship falling out, they understood that all signs of their fights and their break up pointed at his chosen career, but unlike their daughter, they understood that it wasn't is easy to drop his career and pick up an entirely different one.

The night of the accident, the Rice family had explained the entire Sean situation to Kaycee, telling her all about how they were happily in love until their disagreements got the better of them. How even though she was the one to call off their relationship, she was still in love with the man that she now couldn't recognize.

They felt for Sean, they see how much love he still has for their daughter. How he still wanted to be there for her even if she didn't remember. How he didn't have any hatred or anger for the girl even though she was the one who called it quits. He loved her and they could tell that his heart was Kaycee's to hold forever.

Brad had texted Sean that night after he had gone home from the hospital. He told his former son-in-law about how happy he was seeing him there in the waiting room and that he wanted him to be around for Kaycee's recovery.

Sean wasn't so sure if that was a good idea. He wanted to be in Kaycee's life again and he wanted Kaycee to remember him, but he wanted it to be on her terms. Sure it would be a fresh start for him, and he'd get to work on everything he should've done before their relationship ended, but he couldn't help but feel like he was taking advantage of her.

She lost her memory and he felt like forcing himself back into her life wasn't okay especially because he wasn't around for the last two years. For him to waltz back into her life and pretend like things didn't fall through between them didn't seem fair.

He replied to Brad only minutes after his text, promising to be around whenever his work schedule allowed it. But after two days, he has not stepped a single foot near the Rice residence.

The dark room lit up by his phone screen illuminating the space. Flipping onto his stomach, Sean reached out for his phone, retrieving it from the nightstand.

He squinted his eyes, trying to get them to adjust to the bright screen. Reading the new notification, he saw a text message from a group chat he forgot he was even apart of.

five rice's + a lew 💖

laura (mom #2 💕): Sean, honey
are you awake?

dev 🏎: Lewser, hey man
wake up!

brad👴🏻: Devon, be courteous
he might be resting.

     me: Hey I'm still up, did
                                                   you all need something?  

ky 🌟: SEAN!! Can you come
over? It's important.

me: I don't know guys
it's pretty late.
Can't this wait until the
morning?

laura (mom #2 💕): Sean, it's
Kaycee.
She's asking for you

——
thank you to everyone for checking this book out it means a lot to me!
sorry for the cliffhanger expect more of those to come lol, but i hope you enjoyed this short one <3