Their Secret

Maya's POV

"Home sweet home," my mom said as we entered the apartment, her apartment.

I walked in carrying a small duffel bag with only a few of my things. I wasn't given enough time to get all the stuff I wanted.

"So, where do you want me to sleep, the couch?" I asked since Shawn was still taking over my bedroom with his work stuff.

They shot each other a look before turning to me.

"Just for tonight," mom said.

"You can't be serious."

"We're sorry, sweetie. It was such short notice," she said.

"I'll have everything cleared out by tomorrow," Shawn said.

"Can I at least grab my own pillows and blankets?" I asked walking over to my bedroom.

"No," Shawn quickly said. "Let me get them. I don't want you to trip or something on all my gear."

"Whatever," I  laid down on the couch that was supposed to be my bed.

I didn't plan to go to sleep, but when I woke up it was the middle of the night. There was a pillow under my head and a blanket that Shawn must have placed on me, but I was still cold.

"What is this, an icebox?" I mumbled to myself, getting up to get another blanket from my actual room.

I opened the door expecting to find photos, files, and camera gear all over the place but I didn't find a single thing from Shawn's work.

Instead, there was a crib in the middle of the room and a set of drawers with baby clothing on top. There were also toys and stuffed animals on the ground.

"What the hell?" I mumbled to myself.

I had so many questions but it was the middle of the night. So I got the blanket I was looking for and tried to fall asleep on the couch again. I eventually dozed off after tossing and turning for what felt like an eternity.

I woke up early in the morning to Shawn walking throughout the apartment getting ready for work.

"Have you seen my shoes?" he asked scrambling looking for them.

"I think they're over there," I pointed across the room.

I think I remember seeing them around.

"Thanks," he went to retrieve them. "How did you sleep last night?"

"Okay," I shrugged my shoulders. "I got cold in the middle of the night though."

"Oh, I'm sorry, kid. You should've told us and we would've turned the temperature up."

"It's funny, I went into my room to get another blanket and there was a crib and baby stuff all over the place."

He immediately froze.

"Are you and mom having a baby?"

"I, uh, I'm supposed to wait for your mom to have this conversation," he said flustered.

"Wait for mom for what conversation?" mom walked out of their bedroom in her robe.

"I went into my room to get a blanket last night and found baby stuff," I told her.

"Oh. We were gonna talk to you sooner, but then everything happened and we never got around to it," she explained.

"So you are having a baby?"

"Yes, Maya, Shawn and I are expecting a baby. Are you mad?"

"I don't know. I don't know how I feel about it," I told them honestly.

"That's okay, you don't need to know how you feel about it right now," mom assured me.

"You have a therapy appointment later today. Maybe you could talk about it with your therapist," Shawn suggested.

Hell no